[Mb-civic] Lee Atwater et al

Charles Kaiser Charles at charleskaiser.com
Thu Oct 6 13:37:43 PDT 2005

Dear Bob,

          I agree with every word of your fine column about Atwater
and the Republican party.   The only thing I would add is, as racism
has declined, the need for a new Republican bogeyman has
increased.  Hence their focus on gay marriage.  This is a transition
I wrote about last year.   (see below)

          Congratulations & All Best

Charlie

>BROADSIDE by Charles Kaiser
>
>Civil marriage, civil rights
>
>The uproar over same-sex marriage is the greatest thing to happen to
>the Republican Party since Richard Nixon's handlers perfected the
>art of demonizing the black underclass in 1968-a strategy that
>helped the Republicans win five of the next six presidential
>elections, culminating in George Bush I's notorious Willie Horton
>ads, which helped to ensure Michael Dukakis's defeat in 1988.
>
>Thanks in large measure to a majority of sensible judges on the
>supreme judicial court of Massachusetts, lesbians and gay men have
>now displaced African-Americans as the favorite bogeymen (and women)
>of the Republican Party. Faced with a jobless recovery,
>disintegrating conditions in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the worst
>poll numbers of George W. Bush's administration, cynical Republicans
>are desperate to change the subject. Who can blame them for trying
>to get us to focus on manned space flight to Mars and same-sex marriage?
>
>Barney Frank identified the crucial question years ago, when
>Congress passed the notorious Defense of Marriage Act. If gay
>marriage is finally legalized in America, he asked, are married men
>going to "smack themselves on the head and say, 'Wow, I could have
>married a man!'?"
>
>That's not the reason the Republicans are offering for their newest
>preoccupation, which includes "semidaily" contact between Republican
>strategists in D.C. and chief aides to Massachusetts governor Mitt
>Romney, a fervent opponent of the decision of his state's highest
>court. The Republicans' reason, as comedian Bill Maher explained, is
>that gay marriage "does something to the 'sanctity of marriage,' as
>if anything you can do drunk out of your mind in front of an Elvis
>impersonator in Las Vegas could be considered sacred. Half the
>people who pledge eternal love are doing it because one of them is
>either knocked-up, rich or desperate, but in George Bush's mind,
>marriage is only a beautiful lifetime bond of love and sharing-kind
>of like what his Dad has with the Saudis."
>
>All this would be hilarious if wasn't so deadly serious. While the
>Democrats have so far managed to muster remarkable energy in their
>effort to defeat a disastrous president, gay marriage is widely
>perceived as the only issue that might generate comparable
>enthusiasm within Bush's base. "I can't emphasize how big this issue
>is for us," Glenn Stanton, an analyst for Focus on the Family, told
>a reporter. He added darkly that candidates should not try to have
>it both ways by backing civil unions and opposing gay marriages.
>That's "like tipping your hat to gays while trying not to antagonize
>other voters," Stanton explained.
>
>Fortunately, wisdom resides on our side, and no one has articulated
>it more elegantly than Peter Gomes, the gay Harvard chaplain who is
>a genuine national treasure. Gomes redefined the terms of the
> [...]

Charles Kaiser
Charles at charleskaiser.com