[Mb-civic] In Texas, The Hammer Runs Into an Anvil - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Oct 2 07:11:51 PDT 2005

In Texas, The Hammer Runs Into an Anvil
DeLay Prosecutor Says Case Isn't Personal

By Juliet Eilperin and Mark Leibovich
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, October 2, 2005; Page A01

AUSTIN -- Ronnie Earle, the Texas prosecutor vilified by Rep. Tom DeLay
as a "rogue district attorney" and an "unabashed partisan zealot," has
heard worse.

There was the time, for instance, that a prominent Texas Democrat vowed
to murder him.

"He would hold all these press conferences and say terrible things about
me," Earle said, referring to Bob Bullock, the future lieutenant
governor whom Earle investigated for allegedly misusing government
resources in the 1970s.

"I know at least twice people took guns away from him when he said he
was going to kill me."

Earle, a Democrat, was laughing as he recounted the story in the Travis
County district attorney's office last week. And like many sagas in
Earle's career, the Bullock episode comes with a footnote.

Earle couldn't persuade the grand jury to indict Bullock, who was then
the state's comptroller and struggling with a drinking problem. But
years later, once Bullock had sobered up, the two men were recounting
old times at Bullock's kitchen table.

"You know years ago when you investigated me?" Earle recalled Bullock
telling him. "I was guilty as hell."

It's unlikely that Earle will be reminiscing over a kitchen table
anytime soon with DeLay, the powerful Texas Republican with the nickname
"The Hammer," whom he indicted last week. DeLay, whom Earle charged with
conspiring to funnel illegal corporate campaign contributions into the
state's 2002 legislative elections, has been forced to temporarily
abdicate his post as House majority leader.

But one can see why Earle loves telling the Bullock story. It vindicates
Earle's position, at least in his own retelling (Bullock died in 1999).
It also exemplifies his willingness to target swaggering political
figures, regardless of party.

A recurring theme among Earle's critics over the years -- and a
centerpiece of DeLay's attacks -- has been that Earle courts media
attention too aggressively. "During his investigation," DeLay said, "he
has gone out of his way to give several media interviews in his office.
The only days he actually comes into his office, I'm told." These
critiques gained resonance last week when the National Review reported
that Earle had allowed a film crew extensive access to his office while
he worked on the DeLay case.

Explaining his cooperation with the media, Earle places it in the
broader context of his mission. "Justice depends on the law," he said.
"The law depends on democracy, democracy depends on free elections and
free elections depend on freedom of the press. I see it as all of a piece."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/01/AR2005100101471.html?nav=hcmodule