[Mb-civic] Student Maced By Police Now Banned from Campus

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 15:02:15 PDT 2005

From: counter-recruitment at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:counter-recruitment at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 1:36 PM
To: Counter Recruitment
Subject: [counter-recruitment] Student who was Maced By Police is Now
Banned from Campus!

URGENT UPDATE-PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY!

Student who was Maced By Police is Now Banned from Campus!

http://www.traprockpeace.org/counter_recruitment/

At approximately 1pm on Sept 30, Sgt. Richard H. Wheeler and State
Trooper Vasquez delivered a notice to Charles T. Peterson at the
doorstep of his home in Springfield, MA.

Charles was the student who was sprayed in the face with mace by Officer
Scott Landry at the protest against military recruiters at Holyoke
Community College on September 29.

(Go to campusantiwar.net to see photos and read our previous statement
about the police brutality )

The notice read: "Because of your conduct on the property of Holyoke
Community College, your presence is no longer desired at Holyoke
Community College, its property or buildings. Your failure to abide by
said trespass notice will result in your arrest and court prosecution
for trespassing. This notice will remain in effect untill [sic] revoked
in writing by the Holyoke Community College Police Department."

 This is in clear violation of the Colleges own stated policy that
students, "have the right to procedural due process in grievance and
disciplinary hearings." [Right #6, p22, HCC Policy Guide 05/06]

As Charles is employed on campus, this restraining order will keep him
not only from getting an education, but also from working.

Thus far, Charles has not been contacted by any member of the
Administration, besides the campus police. So he has had his education
and his job taken away from him with no explanation and no opportunity
to appeal.

It's worth repeating here that Officer Scott Landry, the officer who put
Charles in a headlock and sprayed mace in his face, is also the Advisor
to the College Republicans at HCC. The College Republicans were also
present at the protest, chanting behind the police line to incite the
police to attack students.

On campus, the student body has become frighteningly polarized, and many
students who were at the protest opted out of attending classes today
for fear of harassment.

Professor Mark Clinton, the faculty advisor to the Anti War Coalition
has been summoned to see the Vice President of Academic Affairs on
Monday afternoon. The Office of the Vice President would not inform
Clinton's dean of the agenda for the meeting.

Yesterday, Professor Mark Clinton's daughter was called an "ugly
communist bitch" by a fellow student.

 Cindy Sheehan is scheduled to visit HCC in November. We will be trying
to contact her to notify her of the recent police brutality and to ask
her to make a statement in support of students.  If anyone reading this
can help us get in touch with her, please let us know  (our email is at
the bottom of this statement).

Amazingly enough, a George Mason University student was assaulted by
police on the same day as the HCC protest. Tariq Khan, a
Pakistani-American and Air Force Veteran, wore a sign reading,
"Recruiters tell lies" while standing in front of a US Marine recruiting
table. After being harassed by ROTC members, the JC Operations
Representative told Tariq that he had no right to voice his opinion
without a permit and to leave. When Tariq peaceably refused, campus
police violently assaulted him, choking him, pushing him, and slamming
him against a stage.

In Wisconsin, students at UW Madison were threatened with arrest and
forced to dismantle their protest against the presence of the Air Force,
CIA, and Marines at the College's career fair. They were told that they
were violating the Administration's codes for protesting when in fact
they were in no way breaching any part of it.

We are sticking with our former demands (see statement of September 29
on campusantiwar.net) but we would like to add the following:

 ---That the restraining order against Charles T. Peterson be lifted
immediately so he can continue his education and return to his job.

---That an impartial investigation be conducted into Officer Scott
Landry's role in the battery at the September 29 protest-- given Officer
Landry's dual role as armed police officer AND student advisor to the
College Republicans.

For the over 700 of you who have already called the school THANK YOU!
Please keep the pressure on. Please keep calling. We are hoping to flood
the school with calls on Monday.

Sincerely,

Members of the Anti War Coalition at Holyoke Community College

Please call Holyoke Community College to register you concerns.

President
Messner
1-413-552-2222

Officer Scott Landry,
Campus Police/ Advisor to the College Republicans
1-413-552-2048

Vivian Ostrowsky, Student Activities Coordinator
1-413-552-2418

 ****
Additional Statements from members of the Anti War Coalition at HCC

One leading member of the AWC, whose brother was permanently injured in
Iraq last year, stated:

"I was there to speak for my brother. He was wounded in Iraq. He's a
different person since he came back, it's a different person looking at
me, more like my little brother than my big brother. He may never be the
same, and he may never open up and tell me what happened in Iraq. But I
believe he fought for lies, and I believe he was lied to when he joined
the military. He was promised money for college and a chance to see the
world. But he went to Iraq, and he wasn't the same when he came back.

Shinah Santiago, an AWC Steering Committee member stated, "I think it's
absolutely ridiculous.  It's totally unjust to ban him from campus
without any kind of hearing or anything. And to have one of the officers
who assaulted us serve the papers was part of their effort to intimidate
us. They think he's our leader, but everyone in the AWC is a leader, and
none of us is going to be intimidated.

Emails of support and solidarity  can be sent to:

info.hcc-awc at hotmail.com <mailto:info.hcc-awc at hotmail.com>

###
Charles Jenks
Chair of Advisory Board and Web Manager