[Mb-civic] National Geographic News Photo Gallery: First Live Giant Squid Photographed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 12:45:52 PDT 2005

WOW, Michael -
Thanks so much for posting this.  When I posted the news article
announcing the find to the MB-CIVIC list earlier this week, I worried
that it was not "political" enough for CIVIC.  My justification for
sending it was that the Hair Ethos extends to matters environmental
('...The beauty of life you can no longer hide...' et al). I think that
extends in particular to news pieces that enhance our shared sense of
wonder at the beauty and diversity and fragility of our Earth Mother
without being too dry and technical.  I guess I need not have worried.
Do others agree?

Anyway - super story, great photos at the NatGeo link, and I must also
mention the BigScience surprise some may not have picked up on:
everybody in Big Biology thought these creatures had to move slowly
(akin to our old ideas about dinosaurs) - since they live at
unimaginable pressures in very cold, dark places - but they are
lightning fast in the Japanese photos - making them even more miraculous
and formidable as predators - well matched in combat with whales, which
were tracked to find "Giant Squid Hangouts" by the Japaese team.  Hats
(and tentacles) off to them!

Insanely, mind-expandingly, miraculously neat!  Doris said it best:
"Awesomely cool!". I second her praise...

Love,
Dr. Bill