[Mb-civic] How to prevent youth sex - Lily Rayman-Read - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 08:05:07 PDT 2005

How to prevent youth sex

By Lily Rayman-Read  |  October 1, 2005

I AM NOT a parent. I have never had children of my own, dependent on me
for their well-being 24 hours of every day. I do not know the struggles
of balancing work and family, money issues and home maintenance.

What I do know about are the effects on children of being raised with
both parents working full time. I am one of those children.

Recently there have been attacks on the media for indecent lyrics,
television shows, and movies, and for a rise in youth sexuality and
sexual awareness. The media are being blamed for creating a culture
where 8-year-olds want to dress like Britney Spears and go out in public
wearing make-up and skirts that barely cover what was in the not so
distant past covered by a diaper.

Who is making the decisions to let that 8-year-old leave the house? Are
parents involved enough in their children's lives to know what they are
wearing, where they are going, and what they are doing?

According to a study by New York University's Child Study Center, ''only
about one-third of parents of sexually experienced 14-year-olds know
that their child has had sex." That statistic is hardly heartening given
the outcry against this so-called ''sexual revolution."

The average age young people are becoming sexually active is
continuously dropping, to the point that finding 12-year-olds engaged in
such activities is no longer shocking to some people.

It used to be that college was the time for sexual exploration. Now that
time is reached in middle school. The problem is that parents are not
keeping up.

Not only are children becoming more sexually active at younger ages,
they are also not receiving the education or ''sex talks" that need to
go along with taking those actions. Many young people are unaware of the
consequences of sex, especially when it comes to sexually transmitted
diseases. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cites that
about 25 percent of sexually active teenagers get a sexually transmitted
disease every year, and 80 percent of infected teens don't even know it.
Where are the parents explaining the issues and concerns that go along
with having sex?

Parents need to be in control and have better communication with their
children before they pass the blame to other sources for what their
children are doing, watching, listening to, and participating in. It
seems as though parents are allowing technology and the media to replace
parenting.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/10/01/how_to_prevent_youth_sex/