[Mb-civic] Miller's Big Secret - Dan Froomkin - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 08:00:16 PDT 2005

Miller's Big Secret

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Friday, September 30, 2005; 12:03 PM

Can it be? That after all that, New York Times reporter Judith Miller
sat in jail for 12 weeks to protect the confidentiality of a very senior
White House aide -- even though the aide repeatedly made it clear he
didn't want protecting?

That somehow Miller was more intent on keeping their conversations
secret than the aide was?

Miller was released from jail yesterday and showed up this morning at a
federal courthouse to testify before the grand jury investigating the
leak of Valerie Plame's identity as a CIA operative.

The man she was protecting, it turns out, was I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby,
the chief of staff for Vice President Cheney -- sometimes called "Dick
Cheney's Dick Cheney" on account of his considerable influence in the
White House.

Over the course of the investigation, Libby had freed several other
reporters from any obligation to keep their conversations with him
secret -- and his lawyer had apparently told Miller's lawyer more than a
year ago that she was free to talk, as well.

So what was Miller doing in jail? Was it all just a misunderstanding?
The most charitable explanation for Miller is that she somehow concluded
that Libby wanted her to keep quiet, even while he was publicly -- and
privately -- saying otherwise. The least charitable explanation is that
going to jail was Miller's way of transforming herself from a
journalistic outcast (based on her gullible pre-war reporting) into a
much-celebrated hero of press freedom.

Note to reporters: There is nothing intrinsically noble about keeping
your sources' secrets. Your job, in fact, is to expose them. And if a
very senior government official, after telling you something in
confidence, then tells you that you don't have to keep it secret
anymore, the proper response is "Hooray, now I can tell the world" --
not "Sorry, that's not good enough for me, I need that in triplicate."
And if you're going to go to jail invoking important, time-honored
journalistic principles, make sure those principles really apply.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2005/09/30/BL2005093000669.html?nav=hcmodule