[Mb-civic] The About-Face of a Hawkish Democrat - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Nov 25 06:28:34 PST 2005

The About-Face of a Hawkish Democrat
Murtha, With Many Military Connections, Moves From Voting for War to
Urging Troop Withdrawal

By Shailagh Murray
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 25, 2005; A02

Of all the Democrats calling for an end to the Iraq war, Rep. John P.
Murtha is an anomaly. Unlike Sens. John F. Kerry (Mass.) and Russell
Feingold (Wis.), he doesn't want to be president. He's no liberal, like
his House colleagues Dennis J. Kucinich (Ohio) and Maxine Waters
(Calif.). He's certainly the only one to call Vice President Cheney a
friend.

A man of gruff familiarity -- most colleagues find it more natural to
call him "Murtha" than "Jack" -- has been representing his Pennsylvania
district for 16 terms, rising to become the senior Democrat on the House
Appropriations panel's defense subcommittee. For that perch, he became
known for his opposition to defense cuts and his willingness to send
troops into battle -- and even to draft them, if necessary. He was the
first Vietnam veteran elected to Congress, and has fashioned a
reputation as the Democrats' soldier-legislator -- a John McCain type
without swagger or upward ambition. He generally prefers the shadows of
Capitol Hill to the spotlight -- though that changed dramatically in
recent days.

Last week, as Congress was preparing to leave town for a two-week
Thanksgiving break, Murtha told a gathering of colleagues and, later,
reporters that -- although he had voted in favor of the resolution
authorizing the Iraq invasion -- he now wants American troops withdrawn
immediately. "The U.S. cannot accomplish anything further in Iraq
militarily," Murtha said. "It is time to bring them home."

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) predicted that Murtha's
statement would become a "watershed event for our caucus, for our
Congress and for our country." The burly 73-year-old lawmaker ignited a
news blitz, and Republicans scrambled to respond. House GOP leaders
hastily drew up a watered-down version of Murtha's withdrawal
resolution, and made Republican lawmakers remain in town for a bitter
and emotional Friday night session to vote it down.

It's hard to imagine any other Democrat causing such a stir. Republicans
privately acknowledge that Murtha is a worrisome opponent because he can
hardly be portrayed as a liberal of the Michael Moore stripe.

What sets Murtha apart from most fellow Democrats is his close
connection to different layers of the armed services. The congressman
regularly visits with wounded troops, but he also talks to battle
commanders. "Jack Murtha is one of a kind," said Rep. Curt Weldon (Pa.),
one of the few Republicans who rose in Murtha's defense during the
Friday night House debate. "He is an example for all us in this body,
and none of us should ever think of questioning his motives, his desires
or support for our American troops."

Other Republicans depicted Murtha's call for withdrawal as irresponsible
and even dangerous. On Nov. 18, White House spokesman Scott McClellan
described Murtha as "endorsing the policy positions of Michael Moore and
the extreme liberal wing of the Democratic Party" and suggested he was
advocating a "surrender to the terrorists."

In the House debate Friday night, several Republicans suggested that
Murtha is a coward who was proposing to "cut and run." But then the
rhetoric started to cool. On Sunday, while traveling in Asia, President
Bush called Murtha "a fine man, a good man who served our country with
honor and distinction," who came to his Iraq position "in a careful and
thoughtful way."

Democrats suspect that Republicans dialed back their criticisms after
taking into account Murtha's hawkish track record. Judging from his
history and close relationships at the Pentagon, Murtha probably was
echoing a belief that runs deep within the ranks of senior officers.
"He's someone who's a strong supporter of the military," said Jack Reed
(D-R.I.), a West Point graduate and one of his party's leading Senate
spokesmen on the military. "People will recognize that he's got their
best interests at heart."

Murtha joined the Marines in 1952, and served in active duty or in the
reserves until he retired in 1990. He volunteered for active Vietnam
service and received the Bronze Star with Combat "V," two Purple Hearts
and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. He was elected to the House in a
1974 special election, after a five-year stint as a Pennsylvania state
legislator.

His hawk credentials were burnished early on. "He was one of our
strongest supporters when I worked for Reagan," said Lawrence Korb, an
assistant secretary of defense from 1981 to 1985, and now a senior
fellow at the left-leaning Center for American Progress. Murtha shared
President Ronald Reagan's anti-communist views, supporting the military
buildup against the then-Soviet Union along with covert aid to the
Nicaraguan contras. "I supported Reagan all through the Central American
thing," Murtha reminded reporters during his Nov. 17 news conference.

He was a strong supporter of the Persian Gulf War in 1991, and today
regards it as a model for international cooperation, both diplomatically
and financially. He noted in an Oct. 2 C-SPAN interview that Bush's
father, President George H.W. Bush, also kept Congress well informed
throughout the conflict. "President Bush One really did it exactly
right," Murtha said.

Despite disagreements over defense spending, Murtha also forged a close
relationship with President Bill Clinton. At the 1999 signing of a
defense authorization bill, Clinton credited Murtha for pay and
retirement provisions that Clinton called the biggest increase in
military compensation in a generation. USA Today reported Monday that
Clinton said in an interview he would reconsider his opposition to a
withdrawal timetable in the aftermath of Murtha's proposal. "He's a
really good man," Clinton told USA Today. "I'm going to have to think
about it because I respect him so much."

Murtha leans conservative on social matters such as abortion and gun
control, but his central Pennsylvania district is a union stronghold,
and he tends to vote liberal on economic and workers' rights issues. He
criticizes Bush's tax cuts as helping the rich at the expense of other
needs -- including defense. He had an ethical scrape in 1979, when he
was named as an unindicted co-conspirator in the Abscam bribery scandal
and testified against two House colleagues.

After a 1990 primary scare, Murtha spent more time tending to parochial
interests. Of the 58 news releases posted on his Web site since August,
three are about Iraq, one is about Hurricane Katrina, and the remainder
address local concerns, including military contracts Murtha helped to
secure and money he lined up for local dams and schools.

For the past few months, Murtha had dropped hints to colleagues that he
would soon make a major announcement about the war. Although he
supported the initial invasion, he soon came to believe that troop
levels weren't adequate and that soldiers weren't properly equipped. He
was one of the few Democrats to publicly advocate the reinstatement of
the draft. In a CNN interview in May 2004, Murtha said that although "it
would be an international disaster I think if we pulled out . . . the
alternative is, we're going to struggle along, get more and more young
people killed."

Last week, as Murtha prepared for his speech, he spoke to Pelosi, to
whom he is close. According to aides who were privy to the conversation,
she warned Murtha that "this is going to be a huge deal" and that people
would "come after him." His reply: "I can handle it. I'm ready for
anything."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/24/AR2005112400759.html