[Mb-civic] How a Town Became a Terror Hub - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Nov 24 04:34:28 PST 2005

How a Town Became a Terror Hub
Belgian Haven Seen At Heart of Network

By Craig Whitlock
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, November 24, 2005; Page A01

MAASEIK, Belgium -- The phones at city hall began ringing nonstop one
morning last year when several masked figures were spotted walking
through the cobbled streets of this pastoral town. A small panic erupted
when one of the figures, covered head to ankle in black fabric, appeared
at a school and scared children to tears.

It turned out the people were not hooded criminals, but six female
residents of Maaseik who were displaying their Muslim piety by wearing
burqas , garments that veiled their faces, including their eyes. After
calm was restored, a displeased Mayor Jan Creemers summoned the women to
his office.

"I said, 'Ladies, you can be dressed all in Armani black for all I care,
but please do not cover your faces,' " Creemers recalled. "I tried to
talk to them about it, but it was impossible. They said, 'We are the
only true believers of the Koran.' "

What the city elders did not know at the time was that the women came
from households in which several men had embraced radical Islam and
joined a terrorist network that was setting up sleeper cells across
Europe, according to Belgian federal prosecutors and court documents
from Italy, Spain and France.

Over the next nine months, Belgian federal police arrested five men in
Maaseik, a town of 24,000 people tucked in the northeast corner of
Belgium. Each was charged with membership in a terrorist organization,
the Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group, a fast-growing network known by
its French initials, GICM.

With each arrest, investigators uncovered fresh evidence that placed
small-town Maaseik at the center of a terrorist network stretching
across Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. The town had served as
a haven for suspects in the Madrid train explosions that killed 191
people in March 2004, for instance, as well as an important meeting
place for the GICM's European leadership.

The Belgian investigation underscores the challenges that authorities in
Europe face in tracking down sleeper cells and in sorting vaguely
suspicious behavior from imminent danger. Police have made scores of
arrests in Berlin, Paris, Rome, Stockholm and Amsterdam in the past two
years to disrupt what were described as terrorist plots, although in
many cases it remains unclear whether the threats were overstated or
false alarms.

The problem has become more acute since the attacks in Madrid and the
July 7 subway and bus bombings in London, with many intelligence
officials predicting that Islamic radicals will inevitably strike again
on the continent.

In Brussels, 13 people, including a group from Maaseik, appeared in
court this month on charges of belonging to a terrorist organization and
providing logistical support to the Moroccan network.

Despite an investigation that has reached into eight countries, Belgian
authorities remain uncertain about the Maaseik cell's true mission .
Police found no bombs, no guns, no blueprints for an attack -- just lots
of worrisome evidence that the defendants were consorting with terrorism
suspects from elsewhere and could have been planning something big.

"We are quite sure that we have proved that they were a logistical
support cell," said a senior official with the Belgian State Security
service, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "But the fact is, the
potential was there to do something more serious."

An Operation Afoot

Maaseik is located in the Belgian province of Limburg, a few miles from
the Dutch and German borders. Until recently, its chief claim to fame
was as the home town of Hubert and Jan van Eyck, the 15th-century
Flemish painters.

(continued)...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/23/AR2005112302432.html?referrer=email