[Mb-civic] MUST READ: Exit Strategy in Search of a Party - Harold Meyerson - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Nov 23 04:46:32 PST 2005

Exit Strategy in Search of a Party

By Harold Meyerson
Wednesday, November 23, 2005; Page A19

George W. Bush has precious little to be thankful for this Thanksgiving,
and nothing whatever when it comes to his adversaries. Beset at every
turn, the president and his men have been pining for some patsies, some
loudmouth liberals, some effete elitists whom they can demonize in the
best traditions of the party of Richard Nixon.

Instead, look who's come after them in the past half-year: Cindy
Sheehan, whose down-the-line dovishness is more than offset by her
standing as the mother of a soldier killed in Bush's war; Patrick
Fitzgerald, the straight-arrow boy prosecutor out of New York's Irish
working class; and now John Murtha, the toughest and most decorated
Marine in the House, who represents a Pennsylvania district straight out
of "The Deer Hunter."

Not a Michael Moore in the bunch. Nothing there for the Roves and the
Reeds and the Swift Boat slanderers to work with.

Not for lack of trying. For the past two weeks, with his control of
Congress in jeopardy, the president has been saying that those who
question his manipulation of intelligence in the run-up to the war are
threatening our guys on the ground in Iraq. It's a time-honored tactic
that goes back to Nixon: conflate criticism of the war with contempt for
our troops and our nation.

Truth be told, Nixon had a lot to work with. The war in Vietnam was so
bloody and unending, and the New Left so increasingly unhinged, that
demonstrations turned violent and patriotism among many of the
protesters seemed in short supply. The Yippies and the Panthers were all
over the news. For an accomplished demagogue such as Nixon, who'd won
his first elections by labeling his anticommunist liberal opponents as
"commie symps," the rest was child's play. In short order he and his
vice president were mushing together the measured antiwar sentiment of
congressional Democrats with the boiling rage in the streets. Indeed,
Nixon didn't so much argue the merits of staying the course in Vietnam
-- nobody wanted to do that -- as inflame the sentiments of his "silent
majority" against war protesters and the Democrats who opposed the war, too.

As political strategy, it was a smashing success, and the mere thought
of it must today evoke a wrenching nostalgia in the political boiler
room we call the White House. Where are the Yippies of yesteryear? Even
as the American people turn decisively against the war in Iraq, war
protests are few and well-behaved. Most congressional Democrats, and all
their leaders, apparently have taken a vow of silence rather than offer
an alternative plan for Iraq. And when one of them finally does pipe up,
it's the unassailable Jack Murtha.

Oh, the Republicans gave it a shot. Initially, the White House compared
Murtha to Moore, and some pipsqueak freshman congresswoman from Ohio
called Murtha a coward, but these attacks embarrassed and angered so
many Republicans that they quickly ground to a halt. For their part, the
Democrats sang Murtha's praises but gave his proposal a wide berth.

But if the Democrats' silence is driving Rove batty, it's making their
own supporters a little crazed as well. The Democratic base clearly
supports withdrawing the troops; in Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco
district, that position probably commands nearly unanimous support.
Meanwhile, the case for continuing our involvement grows increasingly
absurd: In its latest iteration, we are there to prevent war between
Shiite and Sunni, which looms, of course, only because we invaded Iraq
in the first place. We stay to mitigate the consequence of our coming.
We've had wars in which our soldiers died for better causes than that.

Still, the Democrats stay largely mute. Some believe that the
nonexistence of an alternative policy that will actually make Iraq a
more sustainable nation means we have to stay there. More believe that
while the administration has made a hash of its war in Iraq, it will
wage a relentless and quite possibly more effective war on the Democrats
domestically should they call for bringing the troops home. Judging by
its performance in the Murtha matter, the Bush White House is aching for
the opportunity.

But it's not 1969. There is no silent majority to be rallied in support
of the war, just a frustrated minority. The streets are quiet.
Demonstrators are decorous. The audience for Dick Cheney's hatchet jobs
has dwindled. The president's credibility is reaching Nixonian depths.
The Democrats have been pushed to the brink of opposing the war, but
there -- on the brink -- they totter.

And so, on the most urgent question confronting America today, we have
reached an absurd and exquisite equipoise. The Republicans cannot
credibly defend the war; the Democrats cannot quite bring themselves to
call for its end. And the war goes on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/22/AR2005112201356.html