[Mb-civic] SHOULD READ: No Way Out for Bush and Co. - Eugene Robinson - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Nov 22 04:40:29 PST 2005

No Way Out for Bush and Co.

By Eugene Robinson
Tuesday, November 22, 2005; Page A29

As visual metaphors go, it was a lavishly gilded lily of an image, a
hanging curveball across the plate, a George Tenet-style slam-dunk: A
weary President Bush, trying to escape a news conference in Beijing on
Sunday, strides away from the microphone to a pair of locked doors,
which he pulls and tugs in vain. No exit , the image screamed. No way
out. Of course, George Bush will inevitably get out of the mess he has
made -- he leaves office in three years and two months, not that
anyone's counting. But the rest of us will be left with his handiwork:
crushing national debt, rising economic inequality, a poisoned political
atmosphere and, oh, yes, the war in Iraq. We're the ones trapped in the
dark with no exit sign in sight.

As the debate over the war grows in passion and bitterness, the
administration can't seem to settle on the right way to answer its
critics. Last week the party line was that attacking the war was somehow
beyond the pale. The president quickly endorsed Vice President Cheney's
snarling sound bite -- that it was "dishonest and reprehensible" to
suggest that anyone cooked the prewar intelligence on Iraq. And when
Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.) called for a withdrawal of U.S. troops, the
White House response was to link the 73-year-old decorated Vietnam
veteran with filmmaker Michael Moore and the "extreme liberal wing of
the Democratic Party."

House Republicans dutifully followed the script and went on the attack,
but before the weekend was over the White House had changed tack. Now
the line is that criticism is to be expected in a democracy, even
criticism of the war. The president is all but sprinkling Murtha with
rose petals.

Even Cheney, the hawks' hawk, managed to turn conciliatory. Sort of. In
a speech yesterday, he swallowed his castor oil: "I do not believe it is
wrong to criticize the war on terror or any aspect thereof," he said,
going on to describe Murtha as "a good man, a Marine, a patriot." He
then repeated his "dishonest and reprehensible" line to describe those
who would impugn the administration's honesty, and went on to give the
same muddled rationale for U.S. Iraq policy that we've heard in the
past. The fact is that the White House is losing the public debate over
Iraq -- and it's not hard to understand why.

Cheney's umbrage aside, there are legitimate questions about whether the
nation was snowed into a costly war. Even if you give the administration
the benefit of the doubt and assume that the prewar intelligence
failures stemmed from incompetence, not dishonesty, there's still no
defense for the mistakes that were made in the conduct of the war. And
the abuses that have been committed in the name of the United States --
arbitrary and indefinite detention, wholesale flouting of the Geneva
Conventions, a string of secret prisons, interrogation by torture, Abu
Ghraib -- should result in more people being sent to jail than a couple
of ill-trained enlisted reservists.

The administration is losing the public debate because of its many
missteps and failures, but also because of its insistence on conflating
the war in Iraq with the larger "war on terror." Does anyone understand
what "war on terror" means? The country was attacked by a murderous
association of Islamic fundamentalists led by Osama bin Laden. Last we
heard, he was still alive and well, probably in some cave in
northwestern Pakistan. That's a long way from Iraq.

The president says that Iraq is a test of our nation's resolve, that
anything less than victory will confirm the enemy's view that America
lacks the stomach for a fight. But "stay the course" doesn't play as a
strategy when the course seems to lead nowhere. What is victory in Iraq?
When will we know we've won? When the simmering, low-level civil war
we've ignited sparks into full flame and somebody takes over the
country? When a new government in Baghdad declares its eternal
brotherhood and friendship with Tehran?

The mess that George Bush and Co. have created in Iraq doesn't have an
unmessy solution. Murtha's plan -- just get out -- isn't really
attractive, but at least it's a plan. The saying goes that when you're
in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging. But the president,
like the optimistic kid in the old joke, just keeps burrowing deeper
into the pile of manure, even though by now we can be pretty sure that
there's no pony down there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/21/AR2005112100970.html