[Mb-civic] Another Set of Scare Tactics - E. J. Dionne - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Nov 15 04:01:12 PST 2005

Another Set of Scare Tactics

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Tuesday, November 15, 2005; Page A21

Mr. President, it won't work this time.

With a Wall Street Journal/NBC News Poll finding 57 percent of Americans
agreeing that George W. Bush "deliberately misled people to make the
case for war with Iraq," the president clearly needs to tend to his
credibility problems. But his partisan attacks on the administration's
critics, in a Veterans Day speech last week and in Alaska yesterday,
will only add to his troubles.

Bush was not subtle. He said that anyone accusing his administration of
having "manipulated the intelligence and misled the American people" was
giving aid and comfort to the enemy. "These baseless attacks send the
wrong signal to our troops and to an enemy that is questioning America's
will," Bush declared last week. "As our troops fight a ruthless enemy
determined to destroy our way of life, they deserve to know that their
elected leaders who voted to send them to war continue to stand behind
them."

You wonder: Did Patrick Fitzgerald, the special counsel in the Valerie
Plame leak investigation, send the wrong signal to our troops and our
enemy by daring to seek the indictment of Scooter Libby on a charge of
perjury and obstruction of justice? Must Americans who support our
troops desist from any criticism of the use of intelligence by the
administration?

There is a great missing element in the argument over whether the
administration manipulated the facts. Neither side wants to talk about
the context in which Bush won a blank check from Congress to invade
Iraq. He doesn't want us to remember that he injected the war debate
into the 2002 midterm election campaign for partisan purposes, and he
doesn't want to acknowledge that he used the post-Sept. 11 mood to do
all he could to intimidate Democrats from raising questions more of them
should have raised.

The big difference between our current president and his father is that
the first President Bush put off the debate over the Persian Gulf War
until after the 1990 midterm elections. The result was one of most
substantive and honest foreign policy debates Congress has ever seen,
and a unified nation. The first President Bush was scrupulous about
keeping petty partisanship out of the discussion.

The current President Bush did the opposite. He pressured Congress for a
vote before the 2002 election, and the war resolution passed in October.

Sen. Joe Biden, a Delaware Democrat who is no dove, warned of rushing
"pell-mell" into an endorsement of broad war powers for the president.
The Los Angeles Times reported that Sen. Richard Durbin, an Illinois
Democrat, protested in September: "We're being asked to go to war, and
vote on it in a matter of days. We need an intelligence estimate before
we can seriously vote." And Rep. Tom Lantos, a California Democrat, put
it plainly: "This will be one of the most important decisions Congress
makes in a number of years; I do not believe it should be made in the
frenzy of an election year." But it was.

Grand talk about liberating Iraq gave way to cheap partisan attacks. In
New Mexico, Republican Steve Pearce ran an advertisement against
Democrat John Arthur Smith declaring: "While Smith 'reflects' on the
situation, the possibility of a mushroom cloud hovering over a U.S. city
still remains." Note that Smith wasn't being attacked for opposing the
war, only for reflecting on it. God forbid that any Democrat dare even
think before going to war.

Marc Racicot, then chairman of the Republican National Committee, said
about the late Sen. Paul Wellstone's opposition to the war resolution:
"He has set about to diminish the capacity of this nation to defend
itself. That is a legitimate issue." Wellstone, who died in a plane
crash a few days before the election, was not intimidated. But other
Democrats were.

The bad faith of Bush's current argument is staggering. He wants to say
that the "more than a hundred Democrats in the House and Senate" who
"voted to support removing Saddam Hussein from power" thereby gave up
their right to question his use of intelligence forever after. But he
does not want to acknowledge that he forced the war vote to take place
under circumstances that guaranteed the minimum amount of reflection and
debate, and that opened anyone who dared question his policies to
charges, right before an election, that they were soft on Hussein.

By linking the war on terrorism to a partisan war against Democrats,
Bush undercut his capacity to lead the nation in this fight. And by
resorting to partisan attacks again last week, Bush only reminded us of
the shameful circumstances in which the whole thing started.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/14/AR2005111401018.html