[Mb-civic] Europe's burning issue of assimilation - Jason Lim - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 11:02:38 PST 2005

Europe's burning issue of assimilation

By Jason Lim  |  November 10, 2005

JUST AS with the saga of British-born Pakistani youths who killed
themselves and 52 others in a series of bombings on London's subway and
bus in July, the Paris riots will once again trigger a wide lamenting
over the failure of mainstream European society in assimilating these
mostly Muslim and African youths into the general society, blaming
everything from misguided government policy to lack of intercultural
dialogue.

Despite the countless variety of causes that are proposed, all seem to
agree on one inescapable fact: Muslim youths in Europe are not
''culturally assimilated," and that social malfunction directly led to
these violent events. Therefore, these represent a colossal breakdown in
socioeconomic integration and a significant failure of mainstream
European society in general.

However, before the sheer volume of social psychobabble convinces us of
the supposed unworthiness of secular European society, allow me to share
a few insights drawn from my experience as the son of a lifetime
Korean-American dry cleaner in Yonkers, a blue-collar suburb of New York
City.

The United States is often held up as the model ''melting pot," with
countless ethnicities living in harmony side by side, interacting
peacefully every day. The stereotype is true to a certain extent.
However, when you look beneath the surface, you will see that most
minorities have built separate ethnic enclaves that are reproductions of
their respective homelands, often catering exclusively to their own
groups and beholden to their traditional prejudices and cultural chauvinism.

Just because we are interacting economically with other ethnic groups
does not mean that America is just one big family living in perfect
harmony. Superficial tolerance and interactions among different groups
do not translate into sociocultural integration. In fact, the opposite
may be true. Familiarity breeds contempt, and that contempt has the
scary potential to ignite more destruction than that currently wrought
by the French youths, turning this happy melting pot into one boiling
with blood.

So, how do we keep everything together in America despite these
underlying dynamics? Why do the Chinese, Koreans, Dominicans, Mexicans,
Irish, Italians, blacks, and countless other ethnic minorities overcome
their respective cultural prejudices and constitute constructive parts
of a cohesive society?

Simple. Despite our cultural differences, we all buy into the noble
principle enshrined in the following immortal words: ''We hold these
truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are
endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among
these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." This is the glue
that binds us all together. This is the overriding common belief that
allows us to overcome our significant cultural differences and call
ourselves Americans.

This is successful assimilation. Successful assimilation means that you
share that one greater, overriding belief that overcomes the inevitable
friction that comes from looking and thinking differently from one
another. Therefore, successful assimilation requires a central core
belief that can unite people in spite of their ingrained cultural
differences. Without such a center, what are you being assimilated into?

Dry cleaning strangers' dirty laundry is not an uplifting work.
Replacing broken zippers is not a glamorous profession. But my parents
are satisfied because they bought into the core beliefs that them
allowed the opportunity to self-determine their lives within their means.

Therefore, the London bombings and Paris riots do not represent any
general failure in secular European society. In fact, if at all, these
events represent a failure to teach these misguided children the basic
nobility of the liberal societies they were born into. Because people
were so sensitive to their right to maintain their own cultural and
traditional identity, perhaps they were never given a chance to truly
become Europeans.

And although introspection is needed after such tragedies, we should not
search our collective soul just to seek out apologetic excuses for
imaginary failures. Let us delve into our soul to rediscover and
reaffirm the shared liberal spirit that underlies the great democracies
of the world.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/11/10/europes_burning_issue_of_assimilation/