[Mb-civic] Jimmy's journey - Elissa Ely - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 07:21:22 PST 2005

Jimmy's journey

By Elissa Ely  |  November 6, 2005

MANY YEARS ago, when I had a degree in humanities and not one useful
inkling of what to do with it, I worked the overnight shift on the
women's side of a street shelter. The shelter was in a warehouse; my job
interview was on the fire-escape.

There wasn't much to do all night. We turned away late guests, called
detoxes to see if they had openings, and sat in a small office full of
fluorescent light, waiting for dawn.

Jimmy was my co-worker. He wore a beret that dared anyone to comment on
it. Years earlier, before sobering up, he used to sleep in the shelter.
Now he was staff, and he kept a pint in his desk drawer for any guest he
diagnosed with impending DTs. Alcohol was not allowed in the shelter,
but Jimmy viewed it as a medical intervention. When he had been
hard-drinking and homeless, he said, a staff member had saved his life
with a nip, and damn the rules.

Jimmy loved the guests for their sorrows. He knew the mother and
daughter who shared a job by day, sat side by side at meals, washed up
in the same sink, and slept in the upper and lower bunks of one bed. He
knew the woman with one eye who never smiled and had once taught in a
university. And he knew Tony, as much as one could.

She would be well over 100 now, if she is still alive. Her hands were as
large as feet, and her voice was rough. She wore layers of shirts in all
seasons and kept to herself, though solitude is no distinction in the
shelter. Jimmy made sure to save her unshaped shirts. He made sure she
was not jostled by younger women in the meal line. She always got a
bottom bunk. And I knew, when I would hand out soap and towels, that she
was given another privilege.

Showers were arranged dormitory style, with no chance for the luxury of
a contemplative experience. Yet somehow the room always emptied when it
was Tony's turn. She had a shower to herself and changed clothes in
privacy. Jimmy explained it to me one morning before dawn.

''Tony's a woman, but she's a man, too," he said. ''The doctor gave us a
letter about her years ago."

Hermaphroditism in rural New England was a disaster of identity,
untreatable. Tony's family rejected her at birth. She was passed from
home to home until she emancipated herself into homelessness. Then she
worked for years in logging camps, until she grew too old and found her
way to Boston. She had been living in the women's shelter since its
doors opened.

(continued)...
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/11/06/jimmys_journey/