[Mb-civic] Another Thunderbolt from Wilkerson - Dan Froomkin - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Nov 5 06:36:49 PST 2005

Another Thunderbolt from Wilkerson

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Friday, November 4, 2005; 12:45 PM

Another shocking accusation by former administration insider Lawrence
Wilkerson appears to be going under the media radar today.

On NPR yesterday, the former chief of staff to the secretary of state
said that he had uncovered a "visible audit trail" tracing the practice
of prisoner abuse by U.S. soldiers directly back to Vice President
Cheney's office.

Here's the audio of Wilkerson's interview with Steve Inskeep. The
transcript is not publicly available, but here are the relevant excerpts:

"INSKEEP: While in the government, he says he was assigned to gather
documents. He traced just how Americans came to be accused of abusing
prisoners. In 2002, a presidential memo had ordered that detainees be
treated in a manner consistent with the Geneva Conventions that forbid
torture. Wilkerson says the vice president's office pushed for a more
expansive policy.

"Mr. WILKERSON: What happened was that the secretary of Defense, under
the cover of the vice president's office, began to create an environment
-- and this started from the very beginning when David Addington, the
vice president's lawyer, was a staunch advocate of allowing the
president in his capacity as commander in chief to deviate from the
Geneva Conventions. Regardless of the president having put out this
memo, they began to authorize procedures within the armed forces that
led to, in my view, what we've seen.

"INSKEEP: We have to get more detail about that because the military
will say, the Pentagon will say they've investigated this repeatedly and
that all the investigations have found that the abuses were committed by
a relatively small number of people at relatively low levels. What hard
evidence takes those abuses up the chain of command and lands them in
the vice president's office, which is where you're placing it?

"Mr. WILKERSON: I'm privy to the paperwork, both classified and
unclassified, that the secretary of State asked me to assemble on how
this all got started, what the audit trail was, and when I began to
assemble this paperwork, which I no longer have access to, it was clear
to me that there was a visible audit trail from the vice president's
office through the secretary of Defense down to the commanders in the
field that in carefully couched terms -- I'll give you that -- that to a
soldier in the field meant two things: We're not getting enough good
intelligence and you need to get that evidence, and, oh, by the way,
here's some ways you probably can get it. And even some of the ways that
they detailed were not in accordance with the spirit of the Geneva
Conventions and the law of war.

"You just -- if you're a military man, you know that you just don't do
these sorts of things because once you give just the slightest bit of
leeway, there are those in the armed forces who will take advantage of
that. There are those in the leadership who will feel so pressured that
they have to produce intelligence that it doesn't matter whether it's
actionable or not as long as they can get the volume in. They have to do
what they have to do to get it, and so you've just given in essence,
though you may not know it, carte blanche for a lot of problems to occur."

Addington, incidentally, was promoted this week to the position of vice
presidential chief of staff, replacing his indicted former boss, Scooter
Libby. (For more on Addington, read my columns from Tuesday and Wednesday .)

The only news service I have found that covered Wilkerson's comments on
NPR was Agence France Presse .

But if past is prologue, it will get picked up by more people soon.

In my October 20 column , I expressed surprise that Wilkerson's last
thunderbolt hadn't made the front pages.

(continued)...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2005/11/04/BL2005110401072.html?nav=hcmodule