[Mb-civic] Senate's Closed-Session Move Borne Out of Daschle's Strategy - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Nov 3 03:58:07 PST 2005

Senate's Closed-Session Move Borne Out of Daschle's Strategy

By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 3, 2005; Page A06

It took Democrats about five seconds to trigger the parliamentary move
that forced the Senate into a rare closed session this week, but it was
more than a year in the planning.

The final decision to employ the tactic, which infuriated Republicans
and exacerbated partisan animosity, was made in the Democratic leader's
second-floor Capitol office Monday night, in a small gathering of his
lieutenants. Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (Nev.) considered the
strategy to be so sensitive that only four of his colleagues knew what
he intended when he entered the Senate chamber at 2:25 p.m. Tuesday,
party aides said yesterday.

Reid invoked Senate Rule 21, which allows any senator to order all
non-members from the chamber. The rule's existence was widely known, and
closed sessions had been held by bipartisan agreement as recently as
1999, regarding President Bill Clinton's impeachment. But the notion of
one party springing the rule on the other party without warning was so
alien that senators could not cite a previous example. Republican
leaders quickly denounced it as a stunt, an affront, a trust-killing
slap in the face.

Reid's aides said yesterday that their boss decided on the dramatic,
attention-grabbing ploy because he was weary of GOP foot-dragging on a
promised inquiry by the Senate intelligence committee into the Bush
administration's handling of prewar intelligence on Iraq. "We'd had
enough press conferences and requests, public and private," Reid
spokesman Jim Manley said. "Now it was time to act."

But Reid did not have to start from scratch. His predecessor, former
Democratic leader Thomas A. Daschle (S.D.), had considered going into
closed session to discuss intelligence use and to spur the inquiry
launched in early 2004. But he wanted the cooperation of Majority Leader
Bill Frist (R-Tenn.).

"For the past couple of years, Senator Frist and I had agreed to hold an
executive session," Daschle said yesterday. But Frist "kept putting it
off." Daschle said several Democratic senators "threatened to do it over
his opposition during that time, but it never got to that point."

Daschle's staff researched exactly how Rule 21 might be used, aides
said, and its findings were at Reid's fingertips when he convened the
weekly meeting of his leadership team at 6:15 p.m. Monday. Present were
party Whip Richard J. Durbin (Ill.), conference Secretary Debbie
Stabenow (Mich.) and campaign committee Chairman Charles E. Schumer
(N.Y.). In an interview yesterday, Schumer said the group decided on the
closed session out of frustration over the Bush administration's
"stonewalling" and their anger over the White House's failure to
apologize after senior aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby was indicted Friday
on perjury charges connected to claims that prewar intelligence on Iraq
was manipulated.

"There's nothing more poisonous to a democracy than the refusal to
listen to facts," Schumer said.

Reid obtained an enthusiastic endorsement of the plan from Sen. John D.
Rockefeller IV (W.Va.), the intelligence committee's top Democrat,
Manley said. But even though Reid attended a private lunch for all 44
Democratic senators Tuesday, he did not mention the plan to anyone else
before springing his surprise on the Senate floor moments later. If word
had leaked, Manley said, Republicans could have kept the Senate in a
"quorum call" that would have prevented Reid from speaking.

Frist was indignant. As Senate aides shooed visitors from the galleries
and shut down C-SPAN's cameras, Frist told reporters that Reid's
leadership team resorted to a "political stunt" because it had no
convictions, principles or ideas. "For the next year and a half, I can't
trust Senator Reid," he said.

When the chamber reopened about two hours later, Frist named a
bipartisan task force to report on the intelligence committee's progress
on the long-awaited inquiry into how the administration used prewar
intelligence. In a floor speech, Committee Chairman Pat Roberts (R-Kan.)
said the closed session was unnecessary because "just yesterday" his
staff was working with Democratic staffers on plans "to complete our
work" on the inquiry. Democrats said they saw no evidence of movement.

In an interview yesterday, a still-smoldering Frist said that "by
sitting down in a civil way with Roberts, Rockefeller, Reid and Frist,
we would have come exactly to what we did" on Tuesday.

But Democrats were unapologetic, saying their tactic spurred the
Republicans to action and energized Democratic activists tired of seeing
their party pushed around.

"My phones have been ringing off the hook" at the Democratic Senatorial
Campaign Committee, Schumer said. "It has played far better than we had
thought."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/02/AR2005110203165.html?nav=hcmodule