[Mb-civic] An Important Article

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Mon May 30 16:19:42 PDT 2005

Cheeseburger:

Although one would almost think so, Shakespeare did not write the
Bible...(LOL).  The line you are thinking of - "The devil hath power to
assume a pleasing shape" - is from Hamlet, Act II.  Still, it is an apropos
quote for you to use in the present regard.

In this regard, you may want to consider a passage that is from Scripture as
further support for your position:

"For there will come a time when they will not endure sound doctrine, but
according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will
heap up for themselves teachers, and they will turn their ears away from the
truth, and be turned aside by fables."  2 Tim. 4:3-4

Likewise:

"That we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about
with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning
craftiness of deceiptful plotting."  Eph. 4:14

While it is true that one could read a "negative" fundamentalism into these
passages, they are actually in full support of your contention that so many
faith leaders who "claim" the mantle of "Christianity" and claim to follow
Christ are doing no such thing.  And that those who follow them are "heaping
up for themselves teachers" who are "turning their ears away from the truth"
of what Jesus actually did, said and was about, and that they are being
"carried away" by the "trickery of men" and their "deceitful plotting."

Ultimately, I could not agree more with your entire contention here.  Bravo!

Peace.