[Mb-civic] CBC News - BUSH SAYS CLOSING MILITARY BASES LINKED TO FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM

CBC News Online nwonline at toronto.cbc.ca
Sat May 28 17:14:31 PDT 2005

This email has been sent to you by harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://www.cbc.ca/news
BUSH SAYS CLOSING MILITARY BASES LINKED TO FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM
WebPosted Fri May 27 18:14:49 2005

ANNAPOLIS, MD. --- President George W. Bush says downsizing U.S. military
bases is necessary to transform the military into fighting the war on
terrorism.

        Speaking to graduates of the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.,
        Bush said closing the bases will save billions of dollars, which
        can be directed towards the war on terrorism.

        "We have more bases than we need. Supporting these facilities
        wastes billions of taxpayer dollars, money that can be better
        spent on giving you the tools to fight terrorists and confront
        21st century threats," he said.

        "The lesson of Sept.11 is clear: new dangers can arrive on our
        shores without warning. In this era of surprise, we cannot
        know for certain who might attack us or where or when. But we
        can anticipate how we might be attacked and we can transform
        our capabilities to defend our citizens and deliver justice to
        our enemies."

        Technology, a massive redeployment plan and next-generation
        weapons are key to the transformation, acccording to Bush.

Copyright (C) 2005 CBC. All rights reserved.