[Mb-civic] CBC News - AUSTRALIAN WOMAN GETS 20 YEARS FOR SMUGGLING POT INTO BALI

CBC News Online nwonline at toronto.cbc.ca
Fri May 27 17:02:02 PDT 2005

This email has been sent to you by harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://www.cbc.ca/news
AUSTRALIAN WOMAN GETS 20 YEARS FOR SMUGGLING POT INTO BALI
WebPosted Fri May 27 09:44:12 2005

Bali, Indonesia---Prosecutors will appeal the 20-year prison sentence of
an Australian woman who was convicted of smuggling 4.1 kilograms of
marijuana onto Indonesia's Bali island last October.

Schapelle Corby, 27, who was facing the death penalty, wept as she
received her prison sentence Friday, along with a $10,500 US fine.

But prosecutors, who had requested a life sentence, said they will
appeal, arguing the sentence is too lenient.

Corby's mother had to be restrained as the sentence was read "Liar!
Liar," she yelled out.

Other relatives shouted: "We are going to get you home! We love you!"

Corby turned to her parents and mouthed, "Just relax. It's OK."

The case has captured the attention of Australia. The country's prime
minister expressed sympathy for Corby but urged Australians to remain
calm following the decision.

"Guilty or innocent, I feel for this young woman," Prime Minister John
Howard said. "I ask that we all pause and understand the situation and
recognize and respect that when we visit other countries we are subject
to the laws and rules of those countries."

"We have neither the power nor the right to intervene."

Corby, a beauty school student, was arrested in October after airport
authorities found marijuana in her surfboard bag as she arrived on Bali
for a family holiday.

Her lawyers allege the drugs were planted in her bag by airport baggage
handlers in Australia as part of a drug-smuggling operation.

Judge Wayan Suastrawan noted that customs officers testified that Corby
looked "nervous" and "tried not to open the bag" when asked to by customs
officials.

With files from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Copyright (C) 2005 CBC. All rights reserved.