[Mb-civic] Current rates of species extinction will make it more difficult to roll back poverty

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 22 12:31:47 PDT 2005

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/4563499.stm

 BBC NEWS
Earth's species feel the squeeze
By Jonathan Amos
BBC News science reporter

If we continue with current rates of species extinction, we will have no
chance of rolling back poverty and the lives of all humans will be
diminished.

That is the stark warning to come out of the Millennium Ecosystem
Assessment (MA), the most comprehensive audit of the health of our
planet to date.

Organisms are disappearing at something like 100 to 1,000 times the
"background levels" seen in the fossil record.

Scientists warn that removing so many species puts our own existence
at risk.

It will certainly make it much harder to lift the world's poor out of
hardship given that these people are often the most vulnerable to
ecosystem degradation, the researchers say.

The message is written large in Ecosystems and Human Well-being:
the Biodiversity Synthesis Report.

Biodiversity and human well-being just cannot be separated
It is the latest in a series of detailed documents to come out of the MA,
a remarkable tome drawn up by 1,300 researchers from 95 nations
over four years.

The MA pulls together the current state of knowledge and in its latest
release this week focuses specifically on biodiversity and the likely
impacts its continued loss will have on human society.

Even faster

In one sense, and precisely because it is a synthesis, the new
document contains few surprises. It is, nonetheless, a startling - and
depressing - read.

MA BIODIVERSITY SYNTHESIS
The last 50 years have seen the biggest biodiversity upheaval in
human history
Over half the world's biomes (vegetation types) have experienced
about 20-50% conversion to human use
The rates of change have been greatest in tropical and sub-tropical dry
forests

Some 35% of mangroves and about 20% of corals have gone
Across a range of taxonomic groups, species are in decline
A third of all amphibians, a fifth of mammals and an eighth of all birds
are now threatened with extinction. It is thought 90% of the large
predatory fish in the oceans have gone since the beginning of
industrial trawling.

And these are just the vertebrates - the species we know most about.
Ninety percent of species, maybe more, have not even been
catalogued by science yet.

"Changes in biodiversity were more rapid in the last 50 years than at
any time in human history," said Dr Georgina Mace, the director of
science at the Institute of Zoology, in London, UK, and an MA
synthesis team member.

"And when you look to the future, to various projections and scenarios,
we expect those changes to continue and in some circumstances to
accelerate.

"Future models are very uncertain but all of them tell us that as we
move into the next 100 years, we'll be seeing extinction rates that are a
thousand to 10,000 times those in the fossil record."

'Invisible services'

One feature that sets the MA apart from previous projects of its kind is
the way it defines ecosystems in terms of the "services", or benefits,
that people get from them.

Some of these services are obvious - they are "provisional": timber for
building; fish for food; fibres to make clothes.

At another level, these services are largely unseen - the recycling of
nutrients, pollination and seed dispersal, climate control, the
purification of water and air - but without these "support" and
"regulating" systems, life on Earth would soon collapse.

And although we may be some distance away from an "end scenario",
there is no doubt the rapid expansion of the human population and its
high consumption of natural resources have taken a heavy toll on
ecosystems and the organisms that inhabit them.

"Biodiversity and human well-being just cannot be separated," said Dr
Kaveh Zahedi, the officer in charge of the Unep World Conservation
Monitoring Centre in Cambridge, UK.

"We are befitting from a whole range of services that up until now have
almost been invisible; we haven't considered them. And then they
suddenly pop up on our radar screens - we have a tragedy in Asia with
a tsunami and we realise that those mangroves that were cut down
had a value; they provided a service in terms of coastal protection."

Similar picture

Land-use (habitat) changes, climate change, pollution and over-
exploitation - they are all pushing down on biodiversity and the
pressure shows little sign of easing.

"The magnitude of the challenge of slowing the rate of biodiversity loss
is demonstrated by the fact that most of the direct drivers of
biodiversity loss are projected to either remain constant or increase in
the near future," the MA biodiversity synthesis report says.

	If you do things the right way, if you chose the right options for
poverty alleviation, you can also maximise biodiversity and
sustainability

Removing huge swathes of forest has a blunt and clear impact on
biodiversity by taking out the habitat formerly occupied by plants and
animals. But there are subtle changes taking place, too.

The distribution of species around the globe is becoming more
homogenous, as invasive creatures hitch a ride on fast human
transport and trade routes.

Genetic diversity, also, is declining rapidly.

This is most obvious in domesticated plants and animals where the
pursuit of high yields and the pressures of global markets have pushed
farmers towards a limited range of cultivars and breeds.

And so it is not simply that species are fewer in number, their changed
circumstances may also have reduced their resilience and their ability
to cope with future change.

Possible tensions

In 2002, world governments, through the Convention on Biological
Diversity, set themselves the target of making a "substantial reduction
in the rate of loss of biological diversity" by 2010.

The MA illustrates just how tough it will be to meet that target. What is
more, there may even be occasions when progress towards that target
conflicts with the even loftier 2015 Millennium Development Goals of
cutting into world hunger and poverty, and improving healthcare.

BIODIVERSITY AND POVERTY
Biodiversity and human well-being are inextricably linked
Humans benefit from ecosystem services, but unsustainable use
drives biodiversity loss

People living in rural areas in developing nations are often most
dependent on biodiversity.  And they are usually most vulnerable to
ecosystem service degradation. They cannot afford to move out or
import new services

A classic example is the development of rural road networks - a
common feature of hunger reduction strategies - which are likely also
to accelerate rates of biodiversity loss by fragmenting habitats and by
opening up new areas to unsustainable harvests.

This sort of thing has been well documented in Africa where the
bushmeat trade that endangers many species follows the development
of transport infrastructure.

"This is a very important issue," said Dr Mace. "It's clear there are
going to have to be trade-offs and compromises but it's not a simple
relationship. It's not a case that you can have 20% poverty and 80%
biodiversity.

"If you do things the right way, if you chose the right options for poverty
alleviation, you can also maximise biodiversity and sustainability."

And Dr Neville Ash, another MA synthesis team member, added: "The
bottom line is that you cannot achieve long-term poverty alleviation
without sustainability.

"In order to reduce hunger and poverty and increase access to clean
water and sanitation, we need to have a strong base of environmental
sustainability which is providing these services on which people rely for
their well-being."

Little time

It is very evident, too, that we need to get a move on.

The wheels of global governance turn slowly, as was seen with the
Kyoto Protocol on climate change which finally entered into force in
February after many years of negotiation.

The MA has identified possible solutions - from significant shifts in
consumption patterns and better education, to the adoption of new
technologies and a large increase in the areas enjoying protection.

And if some of the ideas sound "old hat", such as the abolition of
farming subsidies that drive crop production to the detriment of field
biodiversity - that is because they are.

"Most of the approaches to achieving more sympathetic management
of the natural environment and the conservation of biodiversity - I think
we and governments know them already," commented Graham
Wynne, the chief executive of the UK bird conservation group, the
RSPB.

"The real challenge is to deploy them more extensively and more
intelligently.

"And you can't get away from the fact that we simply need more
money.

"The sums of money we throw at the environment in the West are
relatively modest; and the sums of money the West is prepared to
devote to developing countries is pitiful."

THE LIVING PLANET INDEX
The Living Planet Index is a measure of the state of the world's
biodiversity. It measures trends of vertebrate populations in terrestrial,
freshwater and marine environments

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/4563499.stm

Published: 2005/05/21 23:16:39 GMT

© BBC MMV

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell