[Mb-civic] Recommended: "Rift over recruiting at public high schools"

harry.sifton at sympatico.ca harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
Thu May 19 05:18:17 PDT 2005

harry.sifton at sympatico.ca recommends this article from The Christian Science Monitor

This debate will grow!

======================= ADVERTISEMENT ==============================

The message is clear - climate change is affecting our ecosystem,
and critically endangered species like gorillas and pandas are in
peril. The longer we wait, the more grave the consequences become.
Urge the Senate to address global warming by pasing the Climate
Stewardship act: http://www.care2.com/go/z/23509

Click here to read this story online:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0518/p02s01-ussc.html

Headline:  Rift over recruiting at public high schools
Byline:  Dean Paton Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor
Date: 05/18/2005

(SEATTLE)While most Parent Teacher Student Association meetings might center on
finding funding for better math books or the best way to chaperon a
school dance, a recent meeting here at Garfield High School grappled
with something much larger - the war in Iraq.

The school is perhaps one of the first in the nation to debate and vote
against military recruiting on high school campuses - a topic already
simmering at the college level. In fact, the Supreme Court recently
agreed to decide whether the federal government can withhold funds from
colleges that bar military recruiters.

High schools are struggling with a similar issue as the No Child Left
Behind Act requires that schools receiving federal funding must release
the names of its students to recruiters. Some feel that's an invasion
of privacy prompted by a war effort that has largely divided the
American public. Others say barring recruiters is an infringement of
free speech - and a snub to the military, particularly in a time of war.

Garfield High School took a decisive step last week with a vote of 25
to 5 to adopt a resolution that says "public schools are not a place
for military recruiters."

All this comes as recruiters struggle to meet enlistment goals.

Although PTA chapters are supposed to be "nonsectarian and nonpartisan,
which means nonpolitical," according to Jenny Sopko, a spokeswoman for
the national PTA in Chicago, Garfield's PTSA cochair maintains that its
action is "wholly consistent with our mission."

"The mission of the PTA is to protect and defend kids," says Amy
Hagopian, a mother of three whose son is a Garfield senior. "It's not
just limited to education issues - which explains why the PTA takes
positions on kids' health, violence, and other serious issues."

Garfield, with 1,600 students, is one of Seattle's top high schools,
routinely producing bumper crops of National Merit Scholars, plus
internationally acclaimed student orchestras and jazz bands. It's also
racially diverse, with African-American students making up 31 percent
of its student population.

Like so many schools today, Garfield grapples with painful budget cuts,
loss of teachers, and dwindling resources. The school's opposition to
military recruitment seems, in part, a result of parents' growing
realization that tax money spent for the Iraq war is money not spent on
children's educations or other domestic needs.

"They're spending $4 billion a month in Iraq, but we have to cut our
race relations class, which costs $12,500," Ms. Hagopian pointed out.
"That's an important class for our kids."

During discussion at the PTSA's meeting last week, Ted Inkley argued
against the resolution because he thought it dangerous to deny free
speech to organizations simply because their philosophies or intentions
disagreed with the PTSA.

Mr. Inkley, an attorney whose daughter is a senior, told the crowded
library he could "easily" see a resolution by some other PTA that
banned Planned Parenthood representatives from campus because of their
views on contraception and abortion.

Steve Ludwig, whose son is a senior and whose daughter will enter as a
freshman next fall, made a point shared by many in attendance: Garfield
does not allow organizations that promote illegal activities to recruit
students to perform those activities, nor does it allow organizations
that discriminate on the basis of race, gender, national origin, or
sexual orientation to recruit on campus.

"Planned Parenthood, as far as I know, does not advocate or perform
illegal acts. The US military does," Mr. Ludwig continued. The
soft-spoken carpenter said he would not object if Army representatives
came to Garfield to debate their ideas on torture or aggressive war.
"What I object to is their coming here to recruit students to perform
those acts," he said. "It's not about free speech."

Nationally, there's a growing sense that recruiters desperate to
bolster falling enlistment numbers are misrepresenting sign-up
agreements to entice recruits. In response to 480 allegations of
improprieties by recruiters since Oct. 1, the Army announced it will
suspend its recruiting for one day on May 20, so commanders can remind
its 7,500 recruiters of proper conduct.

Douglas Smith, a US Army spokesman, said the job of recruiters is not
to make promises but to show applicants possibilities and career
options.

"As for a recruiter making promises and not following through, the
recruiter's not in any position to promise anything. We hope that all
our recruiters are communicating honestly with our applicants," Mr.
Smith said. But he added, "In the contract [between the new soldier and
the Army] it says, 'Anything the recruiter may have promised me is
moot.' "

Smith also pointed out the legality of military recruitment activity on
campuses. "The No Child Left Behind Act requires schools to let us have
access to these students," he says.

Indeed, the resolution by Garfield's PTSA is more symbol than policy,
for Seattle, like virtually all school districts, requires high schools
to give recruiters access to students - or risk losing federal funding
under Section 9528 of the act. School districts also are required to
notify parents and students that they may "opt out" by signing a letter
preventing recruiters from getting their names.

statement reinforcing its policy of allowing recruiters to work on high
school campuses, but also said it would increase efforts next fall to
make it easier for parents and students to opt out.

"Nothing in this resolution prevents students desirous of joining the
military from doing so," said Sasha Riser-Kositsky, a Garfield
sophomore from a written statement during last week's meeting. "Indeed,
there is a recruiting center within a five-minute walking distance of
Garfield."

(c) Copyright 2005 The Christian Science Monitor.  All rights reserved.

Click here to email this story to a friend:
http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/send-story?2005/0518/p02s01-ussc.txt

The Christian Science Monitor-- an independent daily newspaper providing context and clarity on national and international news, peoples and cultures, and social trends.  Online at http://www.csmonitor.com

Click here to order a free sample copy of the print edition of the Monitor:
http://www.csmonitor.com/aboutus/sample_issue.html

Sign up to have the Monitor's headlines sent directly to your inbox.
http://www.csmonitor.com/email