[Mb-civic] Stop the Crime of the Century

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 13 23:01:25 PDT 2005

Published on Friday, May 13, 2005 by CommonDreams.org
Stop the Crime of the Century
by David Michael Green

In Iraq, there is a crime of breathtaking proportions taking place.
Breathtaking, but necessarily surprising. We know from the historical
record that governments will lie and deceive, and we've rarely seen
one as immoral and venal as the Bush administration.

What has turned this crime into an astonishing demonstration of the
depth of American democracy's decay is the complicity of the media
establishment in hiding the original crime, and in thus doing so, ripping
a gaping hole in the fabric of our political system.

Did you know that there now exists in the public domain a 'smoking
gun' memo, which proves that everything the Bush administration said
about the Iraq invasion was a lie? If you live in Britain you probably do,
but if you live in the United States, chances are minuscule that you
would be aware of this.

Think about that for a second. Apart from 9/11, has there been a more
important story in the last decade than that the president lied to the
American people about the reasons for invading Iraq, and then
proceeded to plunge the country into an illegal war which has alienated
the rest of the world, lit a fire under the war's victims and the Islamic
world generally, turning them into enemy combatants, locked up
virtually all American land forces in a war without end in sight, cost
$300 billion and counting, taken over 1600 American lives on top of
more than 15,000 gravely wounded, and killed perhaps 100,000
Iraqis?

Could there be a bigger story? "How Do Japanese Dump Trash?",
perhaps, which ran on page one of today's (May 12) Times?

Of course not. But then how is it that this is not being reported in the
American mainstream media? How is it that the two organs most
responsible for coverage of political developments in this country - the
New York Times and the Washington Post - have failed to splash this
across their front pages in bold headlines, despite the fact that they
clearly know of the story? How, especially, could these two papers sit
on a story like this after both recently issued mea culpas for their
respective failures to critically cover administration claims of bogus
Iraqi threats during the period leading up to the war, thereby
contributing to the war themselves?

>From the Bush administration and the current generation of
Republicans, I expect nothing but the most debased and vile politics.
And, of course, ditto for Fox News and the rest of the overtly right-wing
media. But I have been naive enough, until now, to believe that at least
some of the American mainstream media has not climbed completely
into bed with those destroyers of all that is decent about American
democracy. Apparently I've been a fool.

Here is the story we are not being told.

Several days before their election last week (May 5), a patriot within
the highest circle of British government leaked to the Times of London
a memo, which proves the degree of deceit to which both the
Americans and British publics have been subjected on the subject of
the Iraq war. You were never supposed to see this document
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607,00.html). It is
headlined in bold with this warning: "This record is extremely sensitive.
No further copies should be made. It should be shown only to those
with a genuine need to know its contents."

The memo provides minutes from a meeting of Tony Blair's most
exclusive war cabinet, held in July of 2002. In the meeting, two of
Blair's top officials report on discussions they had just held in
Washington with officials at the top levels of the Bush administration.

Before describing the contents of the memo, it is important to note that
nobody in the British government has denied to even the slightest
degree the authenticity of this document. A highly placed American
source has verified, off the record, that it is completely accurate in its
recounting of the events described. And Tony Blair's only comment
has been that there is 'nothing new' contained in the memo. This could
not be more false. The memo proves beyond doubt the following: *
The Bush administration had decided by July 2002, at the latest, to
invade Iraq. The memo says that "Military action was now seen as
inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action..."
Later in the memo it notes that "It seemed clear that Bush had made
up his mind to take military action". This means the claims that the
president did not have a war plan on his desk at that time are now
proven lies. It means that the whole kabuki dance of going to
Congress, going to the UN, sending over weapons inspectors, pulling
them out before they could finish their work, requiring Iraq to report to
the Security Council on its weapons of mass destruction, then
immediately rejecting their report as incomplete and deceitful - all of
this - was a completely counterfeit exercise conducting for public
relations purposes only. It also means that when former Treasury
Secretary Paul O'Neill and former terrorism czar Richard Clarke
reported that Bush had planned to attack Iraq from the beginning, they
- rather than the administration which was personally savaging them as
loonies - were telling the truth.

* The Bush and Blair administrations knew that the argument for war
against Iraq was weak. As Foreign Secretary Jack Straw notes in the
meeting, "But the case was thin. Saddam was not threatening his
neighbours, and his WMD capability was less than that of Libya, North
Korea or Iran". This is proof that Iraq was never anything like the
serious threat it was portrayed to be before the war, and that both
administrations knew that it was no threat, but knowingly and
completely oversold the necessity for the war with their massive
phalanx of lies and distortions.

* Because the case was thin, the war would have to be "...justified by
the conjunction of terrorism and WMD". This proves that former
Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz wasn't kidding when he let
slip that the weapons of mass destruction argument was decided on by
the administration for "bureaucratic reasons", meaning a rationale that
all the leading actors within the administration could agree on as the
most effective public relations device for marketing the war.

* Both the Bush and Blair administrations manipulated intelligence to
get what they wanted in order to justify the war, and knew that they
were doing precisely that. As the memo states, "...the intelligence and
facts were being fixed around the policy". This is the most \ remarkable
statement of all, as it makes clear that the decision to invade had
nothing to do with facts or any sort of real threat. Rather, it was simply
a preference of the Bush administration (and probably just a personal
one for Bush), which then became its policy, for which they then
twisted and fabricated information and disinformation in order to sell
the war to a rightly skeptical public.

* The war was illegal. Kofi Annan and the international community
clearly believed that the war was a violation of international law. But we
now also know that the British Attorney-General, who has to rule on
this point (the question of the legality of launching a war is traditionally
far less significant, unfortunately, in the American political tradition),
"said that the desire for regime change was not a legal base for military
action. There were three possible legal bases: self-defence,
humanitarian intervention, or UNSC authorisation [which was never
ultimately obtained from the Security Council]. The first and second
could not be the base in this case. Relying on UNSCR 1205 of three
years ago would be difficult. The situation might change of course."
Yes, of course. Then, again, if it didn't, one could always just lie about
it.

* Knowing that the war was neither legal nor morally justifiable, the
American and British governments therefore sought to find a way to
make the war politically acceptable by baiting Saddam. As the memo
notes, "We should work up a plan for an ultimatum to Saddam to allow
back in the UN weapons inspectors. This would also help with the legal
justification for the use of force". And, "The Prime Minister said that it
would make a big difference politically and legally if Saddam refused to
allow in the UN inspectors". And, "If the political context were right,
people would support regime change".

* Well before the war was 'justified', even in the bogus sense of
Washington's and London's inspections and UN resolutions game, it
had lready begun. The memo states that the "US had already begun
'spikes of activity' to put pressure on the regime".

* Finally, it is worth noting that, even putting legal and moral questions
aside, the memo also substantiates the sheer strategic incompetence
of the administration, a failure which has, of course, produced
excessive loss of life. It states that "There was little discussion in
Washington of the aftermath after military action".

Let's review the bidding here.

We now have definitive, verified and undenied evidence documenting
a panoply of lies told to the American and world publics about the
invasion of Iraq, a bloody war which was neither legally nor morally
justified, despite overt attempts to make it so by those who wished to
launch it.

On top of that crime, we can now also add that of America's fourth
estate, which has completely abdicated its role and responsibility to
present this crucial bombshell of information to the public.

It gets worse, however. Eighty-nine members of Congress have taken
note of the items described above, as well as a separate secret
briefing for Blair's meeting, in which it was agreed that "Britain and
America had to 'create' conditions to justify a war", and have sent a
letter to the president
(http://www.house.gov/judiciary_democrats/letters/bushsecretmemoltr5
505.pdf), demanding a response.

And, yet, still there is no coverage from our press. It appears that
demanding that the government respect the will of the people is no
longer enough in American democracy. We must now also carry the
burden of demanding that the media do its job and cover
developments which are unfavorable to the national kleptocracy of
which these giant media corporations have become a part.

That noise you hear? It's the sound of America's Founders spinning in
their graves. And well they should, for this scenario is precisely the
massive concentration of power they most feared. All branches of the
government are now in the hands of the same party (meaning,
effectively, there virtually are no branches any longer). The so-called
opposition party facilitates Republican rule through the flattery of
imitation, when it hasn't gone into hiding instead. The public is
frightened and ill-informed. And now this. To this hall of shame list
must be added a mainstream press which a week ago seemed only
biased and intimidated, but now appears entirely complicit. We are
now living precisely the nightmare of Washington, Jefferson, Madison
and the rest. It must stop. We cannot have a prayer of an informed
public curbing the worst excesses of American government if, in fact,
that public is not informed. Sad as it is, if we ever hope to reclaim
American democracy, it appears we must now fight for outrageous
news to be aired, if we ever expect that news to outrage.

Notwithstanding our worst horrors and fears these last four years,
American democracy is in deeper trouble than we knew. Now is the
time for patriots to act.

We must begin by demanding coverage of this explosive evidence by
the leading organs of American journalism. If the American people
remain too jaded or frightened to demand the heads of those who
deceived them so thoroughly, they're entitled to inherit the
consequences of their own failures. However, they cannot make that
choice until they know the facts.

Please therefore, for the sake of innocent Iraqis, for the sake of
American soldiers, and for the sake of American democracy, do two
things 'write now':

* First, send a message to the New York Times and the Washington
Post, demanding that they cover this most significant of stories. Top
brass at the New York Times can be emailed at the following
addresses: Executive Editor Bill Keller at executive-
editor at nytimes.com, and Managing Editor Jill Abramson at managing-
editor at nytimes.com. For the Washington Post, try National Editor
Michael Abramowitz at abramowitz at washpost.com, and Associate
Editor Robert Kaiser at robertgkaiser at yahoo.com.

* Next, forward this article on to everybody you know, and ask them to
write the Times and the Post as well, and then to forward this article in
turn to everyone they know. With some luck, perhaps we can achieve
a critical mass which can no longer be ignored by these papers, with
the electronic media then to follow.

In any case, we are evidently going have to take this country back
ourselves, without even the benefit of a competent media to report the
news.

Fortunately, we possess the greatest weapon of all, the truth.

David Michael Green (pscdmg at hofstra.edu) is a professor of political
science at Hofstra University in New York.

###

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell