[Mb-civic] NYTimes.com: From 'Gook' to 'Raghead'

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Mon May 2 12:26:18 PDT 2005

NYTimes.com: From 'Gook' to 'Raghead'

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/02/opinion/02herbert.html?ex=1115697600&en=145c406a42c43a77&ei=5070

*snip*

Good article.  Makes me wanna just talk and talk and talk but I haven't the
time.  If they hadn't have used the word "Iraq" in that piece, I would have
almost sworn they were talking about the USA.  I remember when the headlines
came through here that a couple of good old boys had strung up a black man
by his neck or something and dragged him to his death behind a pickup truck
here in Texas.  I thought "who are these people" "I thought we got rid of
these people" "I didn't realize this mind set was still in fully operational
status in America" etc.

And then our Military hires them, trains them, enhances such mind sets, in
fact such mind sets are relished, lauded, and admired.  After all it is that
kind of mind set of "If it moves, kill it, ask questions later" which keeps
a lot of our G.I.'s alive in a war zone, whether they "want to be there or
not".

But then it becomes a way of life.

Just like our Military here in America has become a completely different Way
Of Life other than the rest of us Regular Non-Military Citizens.

I wonder what we are called behind our backs when we are not looking.

Surely they must have a name for those of us who are not fortunate enough to
be in an Organization which while being sworn to protect our nation has
degenerated into a cult which condones shooting 6 year olds 10,000 miles
away in the head and laughing about it, has a completely separate Justice
System completely adrift from that of the rest of America, and once in if
you don't want to be there and squawk up too much about it you just might
wind up dead in your bunk or shot in the back by Friendly Fire.

I have known and know a lot of Military personnel.  Many of them appear to
be just "regular people" like "the rest of us".  Yet there is this pervasive
mind set that runs throughout the core of the entire institution that, for
one reason or another, the civilians of America just "don't get it", nor or
they accepted nor recognized as being equal in status as someone in our
Military.

This bothers me.

It reminds me of a little skit from an old Red Skelton show, the rich well
to do are sitting in a nice expensive restaurant eating a sumptious meal
warm from the snow and the cold laughing and drinking while the poor hungry
in rags are staggering half frozen outside with their faces pressed up
against the window wishing.

I can't really believe that we give our Military such an enormous amount of
our Taxes each year here in this country, and then they wind up in wars that
should never even happen, with not enough body armor to even protect
themselves, then kneel down say a little prayer and then shoot an unarmed
man with a rock behind barbed wire in a detainment camp in the head.

And then go have lunch with their buddies.

And then when they get out, we pay for their college educations with our
Taxes.

While the poor hungry in rags regular old Americans down the street drop out
of high school to support their families, pitch watermelons, clean toilets,
and fill up military alumni BMW's at the gas station inbetween classes of
Philosophy and Literature 101.

I'll be the first one to state "yeah, of course, it's great to have
something between our country and The Wolves, whoever they might be at the
time, and to pay them well and support them in their efforts, duties and
jobs", but then I look at people like Rumsfeld etc on television and I
realize "Hey, wait a minute, he's talking about Bad People, but he's one of
the Bad People himself to begin with".

And then the reports begin and never stop coming in about our troops
committing atrocities in wars that never should have happened, praying then
shooting then doing lunch and catching a few winks before they watch a
football game on a widescreen tv in the middle of the desert.

And I pause.  And reflect.  Between that, all the abuse, all the Little Guys
at the bottom of the Military pecking order taking all the blame for
Military Policy and Mind Set endlessly trickling down from the Top, a
completely separate Justice System within American society and disparaging
of "all things Civilian including their Justice System because they Just
Don't Understand Us", investigating themselves endlessly and stating "that
should be enough for anyone" as they whitewash their own crimes, dedact
information from documents, withhold information from Congress itself,
classify and stamp Military or Top Secret everything that should be
America's Business to begin with since we pay for every g*ddamn paperclip
they use, and their delvings into every kind of Warfare Technology known and
not known to Mankind including devices that boil the water under your skin,
can burst internal organs, or put thoughts into your cranium, surely someone
else other than myself is going to wake up one day and go "Hey, wait a
minute, we've completely lost All Control over our Military here in The
United States of America.  Weren't they supposed to be our Servants rather
than our Masters...?"

Sorry folks, if you're even mildly thinking something even relatively
similar to that, you're just a dollar short and many many years too late to
even do anything about it anymore.

Just keep paying your Taxes into the kitty and don't worry, we have
everything Under Control.  Even though you, your predecessors and your
childrens' childrens' children have paid and will continue to pay for every
last paperclip we use to do what we do, it's actually none of your business,
so you'll just have to Trust us.

All those unarmed dead men women and children...?  Ignore them.  It's just
the cost of keeping all of you Civvies free over here in the land of Oz.

Oh well, another day, another speech, nobody cares.  I'm simply waiting for
them to finally have some real guts and get around to changing that slogan
of "Be all that you can be" to "Kneel down, pray, stand up, pull the
trigger".

Let's at least be realistic about who we are and what we condone.

After all, we're paying for Every Damn Ounce Of It All.

Just like we always have.

Just like we always will.

Maybe our Military is right.

With Civilians who are actually that stupid to pay for such slop and accept
it as The Normal Way Of American Life, they don't really deserve the time of
day from anyone.

Do they.......?

"CivvyDumb".....   Kind of has a nice ring to it now that I think about
it.......

Keep up the good work, boys, bring me back some more Haji ears I can hang on
my necklace, these Gook ones are starting to dry out.

p.s.:  Shove it up your *ss, Rumsfeld etc.