[Mb-civic] FW: [Politech] Use encryption online, become more visible? [priv]

George R. Milman geomilman at milman.com
Thu Mar 31 22:45:48 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: politech-bounces at politechbot.com
[mailto:politech-bounces at politechbot.com] On Behalf Of Declan McCullagh
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:31 PM
To: politech at politechbot.com
Subject: [Politech] Use encryption online, become more visible? [priv]

We've covered some of these topics on Politech before. Yes, encryption
can flag you if someone is monitoring network traffic. Steganography is
a countermeasure. If seizure of your equipment is your concern, try
deniable cryptographic filesystems:
http://www.mirrors.wiretapped.net/security/cryptography/filesystems/rubberho
se/rubberhose-README.txt

The question of whether you can be compelled to produce your private key
is a more complicated legal one (involving the 5th Amendment, among
others, especially if your passphrase is needed as well). To the best of
my knowledge there is no case on point that answers that question.

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/03/30/nude-photos-on/

-Declan