[Mb-civic] Terri's death

Harold Sifton harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 31 16:40:49 PST 2005

The Media's coverage of Terri's situation and final death was and is unwarranted and has only fed the Christen Right's fanatics.

I am not arguing the right to die, euthanasia issues, I'm arguing the privacy of family events vs. fanatics, politicians, media and interest groups abusing family privacy and personal issues for personal gain.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1112278242558_9/?hub=TopStories

I found Limbaugh's rhetoric very disturbing, he is only after ratings points, shame on him and unfortunately some people actually listen to him.

This should have been a private affair, in respect to Terri's medical situation and her husbands ability to help her and then finally make the hard decision he had to. The professionals/doctors and finally judicial concurred with her husband, her family did not. Her family made a spectacle out of her tragic disposition, not her husband who was at her side for 7 years after her fateful event.

The medias have made an event/circus out of this tragedy, shame, shame. Even in Canada I got the tragic event on all the news, why I do not know, because it should not be news or a national or international event but a very private one. There are many many people in the world today that are in the same emotional, tragic situation, but they are not news events, and again nor should they be. Even as a legal issue it should be keep private!

Her family members, cousins are all over the media today, Inside Edition, ABC, NBC, ABC, FOX, CNN, Insider, etc... but not her husband.
These medias pay for stories and 'her' family/cousins are capitalizing on her death, not her husband.

The media and her immediate family members have taken the dignity of her passing away.

My condolences to her husband and families.

PS I could be wrong in my opinion on privacy, but it is how I feel! This event makes me suport living wills.