[Mb-civic] NYTimes article by former senator

Linda Hassler lindahassler at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 30 20:31:44 PST 2005

 From the just-retired U.S. ambassador to the UN, John Danforth, on
what's happened to the Republican Party, a woefully-written piece in
today's NYTimes.
 From Linda Hassler

In the Name of Politics
    By John C. Danforth
      The New York Times

      Wednesday 30 March 2005

      St. Louis - By a series of recent initiatives, Republicans have
transformed our party into the political arm of conservative
Christians. The elements of this transformation have included advocacy
of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, opposition to stem
cell research involving both frozen embryos and human cells in petri
dishes, and the extraordinary effort to keep Terri Schiavo hooked up to
a feeding tube.

      Standing alone, each of these initiatives has its advocates,
within the Republican Party and beyond. But the distinct elements do
not stand alone. Rather they are parts of a larger package, an agenda
of positions common to conservative Christians and the dominant wing of
the Republican Party.

      Christian activists, eager to take credit for recent electoral
successes, would not be likely to concede that Republican adoption of
their political agenda is merely the natural convergence of
conservative religious and political values. Correctly, they would see
a causal relationship between the activism of the churches and the
responsiveness of Republican politicians. In turn, pragmatic
Republicans would agree that motivating Christian conservatives has
contributed to their successes.

      High-profile Republican efforts to prolong the life of Ms.
Schiavo, including departures from Republican principles like approving
Congressional involvement in private decisions and empowering a federal
court to overrule a state court, can rightfully be interpreted as
yielding to the pressure of religious power blocs.

      In my state, Missouri, Republicans in the General Assembly have
advanced legislation to criminalize even stem cell research in which
the cells are artificially produced in petri dishes and will never be
transplanted into the human uterus. They argue that such cells are
human life that must be protected, by threat of criminal prosecution,
from promising research on diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and
juvenile diabetes.

      It is not evident to many of us that cells in a petri dish are
equivalent to identifiable people suffering from terrible diseases. I
am and have always been pro-life. But the only explanation for
legislators comparing cells in a petri dish to babies in the womb is
the extension of religious doctrine into statutory law.

      I do not fault religious people for political action. Since Moses
confronted the pharaoh, faithful people have heard God's call to
political involvement. Nor has political action been unique to
conservative Christians. Religious liberals have been politically
active in support of gay rights and against nuclear weapons and the
death penalty. In America, everyone has the right to try to influence
political issues, regardless of his religious motivations.

      The problem is not with people or churches that are politically
active. It is with a party that has gone so far in adopting a sectarian
agenda that it has become the political extension of a religious
movement.

    When government becomes the means of carrying out a religious
program, it raises obvious questions under the First Amendment. But
even in the absence of constitutional issues, a political party should
resist identification with a religious movement. While religions are
free to advocate for their own sectarian causes, the work of government
and those who engage in it is to hold together as one people a very
diverse country. At its best, religion can be a uniting influence, but
in practice, nothing is more divisive. For politicians to advance the
cause of one religious group is often to oppose the cause of another.

      Take stem cell research. Criminalizing the work of scientists
doing such research would give strong support to one religious
doctrine, and it would punish people who believe it is their religious
duty to use science to heal the sick.

      During the 18 years I served in the Senate, Republicans often
disagreed with each other. But there was much that held us together. We
believed in limited government, in keeping light the burden of taxation
and regulation. We encouraged the private sector, so that a free
economy might thrive. We believed that judges should interpret the law,
not legislate. We were internationalists who supported an engaged
foreign policy, a strong national defense and free trade. These were
principles shared by virtually all Republicans.

    But in recent times, we Republicans have allowed this shared agenda
to become secondary to the agenda of Christian conservatives. As a
senator, I worried every day about the size of the federal deficit. I
did not spend a single minute worrying about the effect of gays on the
institution of marriage. Today it seems to be the other way around.

      The historic principles of the Republican Party offer America its
best hope for a prosperous and secure future. Our current fixation on a
religious agenda has turned us in the wrong direction. It is time for
Republicans to rediscover our roots.

      -------

      John C. Danforth, a former United States senator from Missouri,
resigned in January as United States ambassador to the United Nations.
He is an Episcopal minister.