[Mb-civic] 'Preemptive Strikes' Become Policy

Jonathon Johnson goodhairdays at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 16:32:30 PST 2005

'Preemptive Strikes' Become Policy

    By John Hendren, The Los Angeles Times,  Friday 18 March 2005

National defense now extends beyond U.S. borders to include acts of 'active deterrence.'

    Washington - A new "National Defense Strategy" for the first time makes the kind of preemptive strike used in Iraq part of the nation's military policy in dealing with rogue nations, Pentagon officials said today.

    The plan that specifies the Bush administration's goals in protecting the nation describes a muscular policy of "active deterrence."

    Under it, the United States will seek to expand its relationships with allies and "act with others when we can" to prevent growing regional problems from erupting into wars, according to an unclassified version of the document outlined at the Pentagon by Douglas Feith, the Defense Department's undersecretary for policy. The policy also reserves the right for the United States to act on its own when necessary.

    "The president has the obligation to protect the country," Feith said. "And I don't think that there's anything in our Constitution that says that the president should not protect the country unless he gets some non-Americans' participation or approval of that."

For the complete story go to:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/031905F.shtml

Good HAIR Days: A Personal Journey with the American Tribal Love-Rock Musical HAIR, by Jonathon Johnson. For more information on the book and how to order it, visit www.goodhairdays.net. Visit our other websites at www.uversa.net and www.kidstherapyassociates.com.