[Mb-civic] CBC News - 1 IN 6 PEOPLE SUBJECTED TO RACISM: REPORT

CBC News Online nwonline at toronto.cbc.ca
Sun Mar 20 16:56:47 PST 2005

This email has been sent to you by harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://www.cbc.ca/news
1 IN 6 PEOPLE SUBJECTED TO RACISM: REPORT
WebPosted Sun Mar 20 16:54:38 2005

OTTAWA ---About 1 in 6 Canadian adults – roughly four million
people – have been victims of racism, a survey suggests.

Conversely, one in 10 respondents said they wouldn't want people from
another race as next-door neighbours, according to the Ipsos-Reid study
to be released Monday.

A greater number –13 per cent – told pollsters they would
never marry or have a relationship with someone from another race.

The study was commissioned by the Dominion Institute to mark the
International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.

The survey results challenge Canadians' perception that the country is a
model of tolerance and multiculturalism, according to the institute's
director, Rudyard Griffiths.

"We knew that racism was a problem of the last generation. Well,
according to four million of our fellow citizens, they feel that they've
been the victim of racism," Griffiths told the Canadian Press.

"I think that shows that we can't be kind of complacent about the need to
challenge racism whenever it rears its ugly head."

Most respondents said they didn't think the amount of racism in their
communities had changed much in the past five years, according to the Ipsos-
Reid study to be released Monday.

Nearly 15 per cent of the 1,001 people surveyed said they thought skin
colour made a difference at work.

The results of the survey, conducted March 12 to 15, are considered
accurate to within plus or minus 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of
20.

Copyright (C) 2005 CBC. All rights reserved.