[Mb-civic] Spamalot

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Mar 18 17:19:01 PST 2005

Harold:

Add to that article that Ben Brantley in The New York Times gave it a very good review, and one can be assured of its success for some time.

As an aside, I work part-time as a concierge at one of NYC's finer hotels, and have done so for about 18 months.  One of my jobs is theater ticket sales.  In this regard, I can tell you that we (concierges) knew that Spamalot was going to be an enormous hit right from the beginning, even in previews.  Indeed, we had not seen anything like the response to it since Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick were in The Producers.

Consider that the face value of an orchestra or front mezzanine seat in any theater is $100.  The average price for a ticket to a show through concierges (who work through ticket search firms) is $105-$185, depending on the show and the night.  (Right now, the top two shows - Wicked, and 700 Sundays - command $200 per ticket.)  When Lane and Broderick returned to The Producers, the price went from $175 to $250 per ticket - and people did not even blink paying it.

Only two weeks into previews, the price of Spamalot tickets was already $200.  Today - the day after its formal opening - tickets are $225, and are expected to go to $250 after Easter.  And again, few people are blinking at the price.

There is no question that Spamalot is the new "Producers," and that it will dominate Broadway for as long as the three principals (Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, Hank Azaria) choose to remain in the show.  (N.B.  The other new show that is doing bang-up business is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.)

Personally, and in keeping with the Python philosophy, I am glad to see its...resurrection.  I do not doubt for a moment that the show's success will now lead to re-airing of the TV show (probably on Nick at Nite), and re-release of all the Python films.  Given the sorry state of the world, it will be nice to have something to laugh, giggle and guffaw about!

And remembers: "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Peace.