[Mb-civic] Genes contribute to religious inclination

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Mar 16 19:16:27 PST 2005

This is not the first time the question of a "God gene" has come up - nor,
almost certainly, will it be the last.  Yet if proving the existence of God
is impossible, proving the existence of a "God gene" will likely be even
more difficult.

I also note that this study dealt exclusively with twins.  Yet few "twin"
studies - of anything - have set precedents, much less been accepted as
"proof" of any aspect of human behavior, be it psychology, emotions,
whatever.

As for its application to non-twins, I need look no further than myself for
"proof" that the theory of a "God gene" is
faulty.  I was raised in an atheist household by a Marxist father for whom
religion was "the opiate of the people," and a mother who is a scientist,
and thus based in rationality and empiricism.  There was no "spirtuality" at
all in my household, and my brother both grew up to become rabid atheists
like my parents.  As an aside, none of my grandparents, on either side, were
believers either; nor, I suspect, were THEIR parents.

Yet I had formed a sense of "spirituality" by age 15, and went on to become
not only a believer in God, but a Christian, and then a minister.

In this regard, I would understand, and even entertain (though I would
disagree with), the notion that my faith is a "reaction" to my parents
and/or my upbringing.  But it is certainly NOT genetic.

Peace.