[Mb-civic] Half Earth's 6, 000 Languages Will Be Extinct In Less Than 100 Years

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Sat Mar 5 20:55:13 PST 2005

Half Earth's 6,000 Languages Will Be Extinct In Less Than 100 Years

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-apn-dying-cultures,0,6144822.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

CheeseNote:  This is about African languages for the most part, but
interesting nevertheless as it mentions the extinction of Earth's languages
as a whole as well.  Old languages that helped maintain ecosystems etc for
thousands of years are simply abandoned for those of say a colonial
conqueror's, and the youth just keep on trucking into the bright new world
of globalization, forever separated from not only their origins, and
original cultures, but the languages that bore their ancestors from the
beginning of their existence.

Half of Earth's population now use only 8 languages.

Nice little article, check it out if you can, reminds me of the time about 7
or so years ago that I did a thorough research of all the dying American
Indian languages, from east to west coast, typed up a complete report on the
devastation and the impending extinctions of their languages, sent a copy to
every Representative and Senator in Congress, and only got 1 reply that said
they were on vacation.

It took me 6 months in my spare time to compile that "report", after that, I
just gave up on researching things and mailing Congresspeople.  It must work
for everyone but me I presumed.

Perhaps that old Lithuanian proverb of "As so goes a language, so goes the
tongue" is actually true, I don't really know, I suppose we're fixing to
find out...