[Mb-civic] VERY IMPORTANT ARTICLE PLEASE WRITE ME WHAT YOU THINK -MICHAEL

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Mar 2 20:53:33 PST 2005

What can be said?  Haven't many of us been saying these exact things for
months, sometimes years?  How much of this is really new to the
socio-politically "informed?"  How many times have I - and others - pointed
out very specific ways in which our world, and particularly the U.S.,
becomes more "Orwellian" by the day?  In addition to such "new truths" as
"War is Peace," our society has already become WAY too comfortable with both
"doublethink" and "newspeak."  (Indeed, many Civic members have engaged in
both, almost certainly without realizing it.  This is not accusation; simply
observation).  It has simply become so "natural" in some cases that it is
hard to avoid.

Obviously, all of this does not make the points in the article any less
horrifying, angrifying and, ultimately, sad.  What can be done?  Talking is
good, but action is better.  I trust that Civic members spend at least as
much time "doing" in the real world as they do engaging in intellectual
"give and take" in cyberspace.

Peace.