[Mb-civic] Quick action alert on Downing St memo

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 31 15:30:28 PDT 2005

Take action here: http://capwiz.com/pdamerica/issues/bills/?bill=7877436
When you go to this site you will be asked to type in your message.  You can
copy and paste the message at the end of this email, or write your own.

Thanks in part to an overwhelming show of public outrage
over the implications of the Downing Street Minutes, the light of
inquiry is finally shining into the darkest corners of this
administration's shady dealings. Suddenly, things are moving very
quickly.

On July 17, Congresswoman Barbara Lee (D-CA) - along with 34
co-sponsors - introduced a Resolution of Inquiry in the House of
Representatives. If it passes, the White House and the State
Department will be required to "transmit all information relating to
communication with officials of the United Kingdom between January 1,
2002, and October 16, 2002, relating to the policy of the United States
with respect to Iraq."

This potentially paradigm-shifting resolution must be voted on in
committee within fourteen legislative days of its introduction. The
resolution will almost certainly be voted on in committee between
September 6 and 16, because if it is not, Lee can demand a vote of the
full House. If left standing, however, the resolution must be taken up
again by September 16.

Here's where your help is needed: the more Congress Members in the
full House who co-sponsor the resolution, the more likely it is to be
approved by members of the committee. Now is the time to bring full
pressure to bear on those representatives who remain uncommitted and to do
all we can to get as many members as possible to sponsor this resolution.
(Write to your member here.)

When writing your representatives, tell them that information in the
Downing Street Minutes strongly suggests that President Bush
intentionally deceived Congress about the reasons for going to war.
Tell them that if such is not the case, the administration should be
eager to release the information contained in the additional official
documents and see the President vindicated. Either way, Congress and the
American people deserve to know the truth. Full disclosure is essential.
No one is above the law. We will not stand for secrecy in our White House.

We have only a few days in which to urge our representatives to keep
this pivotal resolution alive. Demand that committee members not only vote
for it, but vow to discuss it at length and engage in substantive debate
when the committee meets, forcing opposing members to go on record with
their reasons for voting it down.

The future of our country hangs in the balance. And, as always, PDA is
here. Progressive representatives are working alongside the citizenry,
pushing for truth and justice. Your participation and support are making
this all possible. Thank you for all you're doing.

TAKE ACTION HERE:
http://capwiz.com/pdamerica/issues/bills/?bill=7877436

In peace and solidarity,

Kevin Spidel National Political Director Progressive Democrats of
America http://www.pdamerica.org

---------
copy and paste below:

RE: PLEASE Cosponsor H. RES. 375

Information in the Downing Street Minutes strongly suggests that President
Bush intentionally deceived Congress about the reasons for going to war.  If
such is not the case, the administration should be eager to release the
information contained in the additional official documents and see the
President vindicated. Either way, Congress and the American people deserve
to know the truth. Full disclosure is essential. No one is above the law. The
American people will not stand for secrecy in our White House!

H. RES. 375 requests the President and directing the Secretary of State to
transmit to the House of Representatives not later than 14 days after the date
of the adoption of this resolution all information in the possession of the
President and the Secretary of State relating to communication with officials
of the United Kingdom between January 1, 2002, and October 16, 2002,
relating to the policy of the United States with respect to Iraq.

Please cosponsor this vital resolution!

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell