[Mb-civic] Banality Of the Bombers - Jim Hoagland - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Jul 31 06:02:04 PDT 2005

Banality Of the Bombers

By Jim Hoagland
Sunday, July 31, 2005; Page B07

<>"The deeds were monstrous, but the doer . . . was quite ordinary,
commonplace, and neither demonic nor monstrous."<>
-- Hannah Arendt, "The Life of the Mind"

The banality of evil that Hannah Arendt glimpsed in Nazi war criminal
Adolf Eichmann lives on in this visual age. It emerges from surveillance
photographs of four terrorism suspects in London that were splashed
across the world's television screens, Internet sites and newspapers
earlier this month.

<>Those police photos, as did Eichmann's words and appearance during his
1961 trial in Jerusalem, show the face
of evil as all too human and surprisingly mediocre -- a face not of
mysterious supernatural forces that we cannot comprehend or combat, but
one of petty criminality and hatred that we can easily recognize. In
that sobering reality are reasons for comfort, and for anguish.

What you saw in the surveillance photographs released July 22 of the
would-be assassins may well be different from what I saw. Two of the
four "looked" to me as if they came from East Africa (I once lived
there) and, as I remarked, one in particular resembled Somalis I had known.

<>He turned out to be Yasin Hassan Omar, arrested on Wednesday and
identified as an ethnic Somali. Police also then identified Muktar Said
Ibrahim, an Eritrean immigrant who was arrested Friday along with the
two other bombing suspects shown in the photos. The two men fully
identified by police come from violent homelands -- not comfortable
British circumstances -- and have records as a petty criminal (Ibrahim)
or unemployed loser (Omar). That is, in a way, reassuring.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/29/AR2005072901673.html