[Mb-civic] In Africa, Justice Before Aid - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Jul 30 04:25:08 PDT 2005

<>In Africa, Justice Before Aid
Unless we help African states institutionalize the rule of law, crime
and corruption will undercut the best of intentions.

By Kathleen Millar
Saturday, July 30, 2005; Page A19

A July 3 front-page article in The Post quoted a Kenyan farmer named
Peter Kanans: "Even if they cancel the debt, even if they give our
governments aid money, ordinary Africans will not benefit. That money
will only make the corrupt people richer and Africans international
beggars for decades to come."

At the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), we have been saying
something similar about crime and corruption in Africa, and now that the
Group of Eight countries have pledged additional billions of dollars in
aid to that continent, it may be time to weigh in on where this money
may make the greatest difference for ordinary citizens.

<>We know, as Kanans does, that crime and corruption are enormous
obstacles to aid and development. A UNODC report, "Crime and Development
in Africa," is filled with examples: Official crime figures, for
instance, are unavailable for half of the African nations. In some
cases, a lack of courts, prosecutors and workable judicial systems
renders the exercise fruitless: "The police do not have the transport to
collect suspects; the courts run out of paper and then can't hear cases
until more arrives; parties have to pay marshals to serve summonses;
court records are written on already used documents and folders; and
some of the court buildings leak so badly that during the rainy season
court records get damaged."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/29/AR2005072901624.html