[Mb-civic] On Capitol Hill, A Flurry of GOP Victories - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Jul 30 04:18:28 PDT 2005

<>On Capitol Hill, A Flurry of GOP Victories
Key Measures Advance After Long Delays

By Charles Babington and Justin Blum
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, July 30, 2005; Page A01

After years of partisan impasses and legislative failures, Congress in a
matter of hours yesterday passed or advanced three far-reaching bills
that will allocate billions of dollars and set new policies for guns,
roads and energy.

The measures sent to President Bush for his signature will grant $14.5
billion in tax breaks for energy-related matters and devote $286 billion
to transportation programs, including 6,000 local projects, often called
"pork barrel" spending. The Senate also passed a bill to protect
firearms manufacturers and dealers from various lawsuits. The House is
poised to pass it this fall.

Combined with the Central American Free Trade Agreement that Congress
approved Thursday, the measures constitute significant victories for
Bush and GOP congressional leaders, who have been frustrated by
Democrats in some areas such as Social Security. As senators cast vote
after vote in order to start their August recess, Bush applauded
Congress, saying the energy bill "will help secure our energy future and
reduce our dependence on foreign sources of energy."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/29/AR2005072901942.html?referrer=email