[Mb-civic] Securing Our Subways - Michael Chertoff - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 04:03:39 PDT 2005

Securing Our Subways

By Michael Chertoff
Friday, July 29, 2005; Page A23

In the past couple of weeks we have seen four major terrorist attacks on
soft targets in civilian areas: two attacks on mass transit in London;
an attack on a shopping mall in Netanya, Israel; and an attack on hotels
and resorts in Egypt. The events are a tragic reminder of the dangers we
face, the tactics of our enemies and the need for more preparedness.

Every act of terrorism is unforgivable, and any life taken by terrorists
is an irreparable loss. This is why we have gone to great lengths as a
nation since Sept. 11 to provide law enforcement and intelligence
personnel with enhanced tools and information to better identify, track
and apprehend terrorists before they are able to strike. We have also
made significant progress since last year's bombings in Madrid in
securing our mass transit systems.

State and local authorities have received more than $8 billion in
Homeland Security Department grants that can be used for mass transit
security, and President Bush has proposed an additional $2.4 billion in
his 2006 budget. The federal government has chipped in more than $255
million for state and local transit authorities to increase protection
through hardening of assets, greater police presence during high alerts,
additional detection and surveillance equipment, increased inspections,
and expanded use of explosives-sniffing dog teams.

These expenditures reflect our commitment to protecting all of our
infrastructure from terrorist attack. Of course, the way in which we do
so depends on the nature of the system that we are protecting. Mass
transit is an open, accessible and efficient system across a broad
geographic area. By contrast, our aviation system is a closed system
that can be tightly monitored at controlled checkpoints. An
airport-style security system would be poorly suited to local mass
transit systems because long delays would interrupt fluidity and
convenience. We cannot destroy with draconian security measures the very
thing we are trying to protect.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/28/AR2005072801787.html