[Mb-civic] Huffington Post -- Judy Miller: Do We Want To Know Everything or Don't We?

Mike Blaxill mblaxill at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 13:46:00 PDT 2005

HERE'S THIS ONE AGAIN - LAST TIME DIDN'T WORK FOR
SOME REASON

07.27.2005
Arianna Huffington
Judy Miller: Do We Want To Know Everything or
Don't We?

Not everyone in the Times building is on the same
page when it comes to Judy Miller. The official
story the paper is sticking to is that Miller is
a heroic martyr, sacrificing her freedom in the
name of journalistic integrity.

But a very different scenario is being floated in
the halls. Here it is: It's July 6, 2003, and Joe
Wilson's now famous op-ed piece appears in the
Times, raising the idea that the Bush
administration has "manipulate[d]" and "twisted"
intelligence "to exaggerate the Iraqi threat."
Miller, who has been pushing this manipulated,
twisted, and exaggerated intel in the Times for
months, goes ballistic. Someone is using the
pages of her own paper to call into question the
justification for the war -- and, indirectly,
much of her reporting. The idea that intelligence
was being fixed goes to the heart of Miller's
credibility. So she calls her friends in the
intelligence community and asks, Who is this guy?
She finds out he's married to a CIA agent. She
then passes on the info about Mrs. Wilson to
Scooter Libby (Newsday has identified a meeting
Miller had on July 8 in Washington with an
"unnamed government official"). Maybe Miller
tells Rove too -- or Libby does. The White House
hatchet men turn around and tell Novak and
Cooper. The story gets out.

Rest is here -
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/arianna-huffington/judy-miller-do-we-want-_4791.html