[Mb-civic] Few Have Felt Beat of Roberts's Political Heart - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Jul 24 05:27:58 PDT 2005

Few Have Felt Beat of Roberts's Political Heart

By Michael Grunwald and Amy Goldstein
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, July 24, 2005; Page A01

E. Barrett Prettyman Jr. fondly recalls working with John G. Roberts Jr.
at Hogan & Hartson, the blue-chip Washington law firm where Prettyman
was a renowned Supreme Court advocate, and Roberts was quickly becoming
one. The two lawyers ate lunch together almost every day, and Prettyman
says they became close friends, even though he's a staunch liberal and
Roberts is a staunch conservative.

At least he thinks Roberts is a staunch conservative.

He's always assumed Roberts is a staunch conservative.

Actually, now that he racks his brain, he's not so sure.

"You know, I must have had a thousand lunches with John, and I can't
think of a single thing he's said that would specify his politics," says
Prettyman, a World War II veteran who once served as an aide to Robert
F. Kennedy. "We were all under the impression that he's a conservative,
but he always talked generalities. He's not the type to lay it all out."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/23/AR2005072301188.html