[Mb-civic] Leak Riddle: Who's Playing Whom? - Mark Feldstein - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Jul 24 05:22:06 PDT 2005

Leak Riddle: Who's Playing Whom?

By Mark Feldstein
Sunday, July 24, 2005; Page B01

Judith Miller, the Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times reporter who
now wears a brown and green prison jumpsuit, will soon enter her third
week in a jail cell just a few miles from the White House where
administration officials suspected of leaking classified information to
journalists -- including the president's top political strategist, Karl
Rove -- are still running the government.

Despite the widespread fixation on this political scandal, there is also
an important journalistic one: the conflict of interest that reporters
routinely have with high-level sources who leak sensitive information.
It is the dirty little secret of the Washington press corps, a kind of
unspoken conspiracy in which reporters conceal not only their sources'
identities but more importantly the underlying motives for the leaks.
This Faustian pact can be a disservice to the public, which learns only
a part of the larger truth, a version that may be accurate as far as it
goes but is by definition deficient.

<>I know. I've been an investigative reporter and received subpoenas in
both criminal and civil cases that jeopardized my pledge of
confidentiality to sources; once I even brought a packed suitcase into
federal court in anticipation of going to jail. In the high-profile
public corruption grand jury probes that I covered in Washington, some
of my best sources publicly denied providing information that they had
in fact leaked to me. This kind of disinformation is common and puts
journalists in the awkward position of having to choose between
reporting what they know is really going on or breaking their pledge of
confidentiality to their sources.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/22/AR2005072202222.html?nav=hcmodule