[Mb-civic] Blasts in Egypt Kill at Least 65 - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Jul 23 03:48:01 PDT 2005

<>Blasts in Egypt Kill at Least 65
More Than 200 Injured as Explosions Rock Red Sea Resort Crowded With
Tourists

By Anthony Shadid
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, July 23, 2005; 5:33 AM

CAIRO, July 23 - At least three explosions Saturday ripped through the
Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, one of Egypt's most popular tourist
destinations, killing at least 65 people and wounding 200 more, police
and witnesses said.

Residents reached by telephone said the explosions, at least one
detonated by a car bomb, were audible miles away. They shattered windows
and unleashed pandemonium in the resort, which is crowded with Israeli,
European and Egyptian tourists in the hot summer months. Residents said
fireballs shot into the nighttime sky, followed by white and gray smoke
that hovered over buildings, which sit along the scenic southern tip of
the Sinai Peninsula.

In a statement late Saturday morning, the Interior Ministry said 65
people were killed and 200 wounded in three explosions.

<>"It's a mess," Mohammed Abbas, who lives near one of the bombing
sites, said by phone. "My first impression when I saw the smoke coming
from the hotel was that a boiler had exploded. It was so strong. All the
glass of the shops and offices were destroyed."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/23/AR2005072300207.html