[Mb-civic] Nominee's Wife Is A Feminist After Her Own Heart - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 04:03:10 PDT 2005

Nominee's Wife Is A Feminist After Her Own Heart

By Hanna Rosin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 22, 2005; Page C01

In 1995 Jane Sullivan walked into the tiny downtown office of Feminists
for Life, a group she'd heard about from a friend. Serrin Foster was
staffing the front desk and explained to her what they were about: The
group was a kind of updated antiabortion group that concentrated more on
"prevention than rhetoric." It was started in the '70s by some "hippie
anti-nuke, anti-death penalty activists," including two women who had
been kicked out of a National Organization for Women meeting for saying
they were antiabortion.

Sullivan's response was the same as that of many women who discover the
group after searching for someplace that could contain all their various
beliefs: "I've found my home," Foster recalls her saying.

By the most extreme stereotypes of the political landscape, being a
committed, self-described feminist and being strongly antiabortion are
irreconcilable opposites. But throughout her life, Sullivan, who became
the wife of Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts, has lived in that
small slice of the Venn diagram where these two circles overlap. She was
not available for comment for this story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/21/AR2005072102500.html?nav=hcmodule