[Mb-civic] Countering Doublespeak---Action and info on stopping nasty trade agreement

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 19 16:12:22 PDT 2005

This email is about CAFTA.  Before your eyes glaze over and you press the
delete button--stop and think.  The Bush Administration and "free trade"
supporters are trying to push a trade agreement through Congress that will
result in increasing poverty in Central America AND in the U.S. while
enriching and empowering multinational corporations.  YOU have the power
to stop this nonsense.....by reading the short outline below and then emailing
(and better yet calling) your U.S. rep and saying "CAFTA will hurt Americans
and the people of Central America--please oppose it!"  The link for emailing
is
http://www.capwiz.com/thenation/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=7805476

and you can get your Rep's name and phone # at
http://www.congress.org

The Online Beat by John Nichols
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat?bid=1&pid=7204
Countering Doublespeak

The House of Representatives is moving toward a vote on the
proposed Central American Free Trade Agreement, and the spin
machines of the White House and the corporate special interests -
along with their amen corner in the media - are working overtime.

These are the days when the big lies get told - as we learned more
than a decade ago when the Clinton White House was busy working
with congressional Republicans to win support for the North American
Free Trade Agreement and more recently when Congress debated
establishing permanent normal trade relations with China.

To counter the Orwellian twists of facts and figures that are sure to
come from the White House and its political allies, fair trade
campaigners (www.citizenstrade.org and www.wiscotrader.org) have
come up with a top 10 list of trade doublespeak - and the facts to
counter it:

No. 10: Our trade deficit actually shows how strong the economy
is.That's a lot like arguing that the more you go into debt, the richer you
really are. Here's what happened with NAFTA: Our trade deficit with
those countries is 12 times bigger than before the pact - it shot up from
$9 billion in 1993 to $111 billion last year. A high trade deficit weakens
our economy.

No. 9: CAFTA slows immigration.This same false promise was made
under NAFTA, and we all witnessed the opposite result of increased
immigration from Mexico. CAFTA has back-door provisions that may
make U.S. immigration laws and visa requirements in violation of the
agreement, and unenforceable.

No. 8: CAFTA opens a substantial market for U.S.goods.Central
America has some of the poorest countries in the world, and the
aggregate economy of the six CAFTA nations is minuscule. "Add up
the six CAFTA economies and you get a market the size of New
Haven, Conn.," points out trade analyst Alan Tonelson of the U.S.
Business and Industry Council. Tonelson concludes that CAFTA is a
"classic outsourcing agreement" - an arrangement in which the only
significant U.S. export would be manufacturing jobs to poor, low-wage
nations.

No. 7: CAFTA helps the working poor of Central America.Since
NAFTA, real wages for Mexican workers have fallen. Over 1.5 million
displaced Mexican subsistence farmers were turned into unemployed
masses. Mexico is becoming poorer. Today, 40 percent of Central
America's workers earn less than $2 a day. Their employment rights
are routinely abused, and CAFTA will require these countries to merely
enforce their own weak and unfair labor laws. CAFTA is about making
corporations, not Central American workers, richer.

No. 6: CAFTA helps farmers.The poor of Central America will not be
buying cheese from Wisconsin or corn from Iowa. Under CAFTA,
barriers to agricultural imports from these countries would be removed
immediately, while barriers to U.S. exports wouldn't be lifted for
anywhere from 10 to 20 years - thereby crippling U.S. agricultural
producers. Many state-level farm organizations publicly oppose
CAFTA. The National Association of State Departments of Agriculture
passed a resolution against CAFTA because farm products aren't
adequately protected by the agreement. CAFTA will hurt the American
farmer, but funnel money to large agribusiness corporations who do
business overseas.

No. 5: CAFTA is essential for national security.This desperate plea by
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice is a last-ditch effort by a failing administration to
resuscitate CAFTA using fear and divisiveness. Short of votes in
Congress, with a flawed strategy, they are attempting to scare the
American people into support. Nobody really thinks al-Qaida has
splinter cells in Costa Rica. We won't be fooled into believing Osama
bin Laden is hiding out in the Dominican Republic.

No. 4: CAFTA is a relatively small trade agreement.CAFTA is the
largest trade agreement before our country since NAFTA, and a critical
steppingstone toward creation of a 34-nation Free Trade Area of the
Americas. It has become a national referendum on failed trade policies
of the past, and the outcome will set a course for our future dealings
with China. For local and state government, CAFTA would become the
highest law of the land, determining rules on procurement, health care,
zoning and immigration.

No. 3: CAFTA helps the American worker.Just the opposite. When
companies in other countries are allowed to race to the basement,
employment conditions for our American workers deteriorate. We get
less pay, fewer benefits and reduced health care coverage. CAFTA is
the Wal-Mart of trade deals. CEOs justify actions by the need to stay
competitive and keep prices low. Big corporations then get all the
breaks, and the profits, while workers' rights and wages are forsaken.

No. 2: Trade deals always pass in Congress; so will CAFTA.Right now,
a majority of House members, including a significant number of
Republicans, oppose CAFTA. Another sizable bloc of GOP House
members is uncommitted. For CAFTA to pass, over two dozen House
members will have to breakcommitments to vote against it, and every
single uncommitted member will need to vote for it. That's not likely to
happen, as polling shows opposition to outsourcing and CAFTA is
growing. The more Americans find out about it, the less they like it.

No. 1 doublespeak: CAFTA trade policies create jobs and stimulate
economic growth.It's the Big Lie. When we import more, and our trade
deficit grows, we lose jobs, and export our wealth to other countries.
We lost an estimated 900,000 net jobs to NAFTA. Outsourcing the
American economy to other countries is a failing strategy for our future.

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell