[Mb-civic] Where Even Newt Gingrich Thrives - Michael Kinsley - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Jul 17 08:07:47 PDT 2005

Where Even Newt Gingrich Thrives

By Michael Kinsley
Sunday, July 17, 2005; Page B07

In Washington, old politicians don't even fade away.

Ten years ago, when he was speaker of the House and riding high, Newt
Gingrich wrote a book called "To Renew America," in which he predicted
that in "just a decade or so," people would have a "diagnostic chair" in
their homes that would save them the trouble of going to the doctor.

<>That doesn't seem to have happened. But then, even professional
pundits can sometimes be wrong in predicting the future. For example, I
thought that when he slunk out of Congress in 1998, we had heard the
last of Newt Gingrich. And he did lie low for a while. But now he's
back, big-time. Just Google him up. He's the man to go to for a quote
about anything relating to the Republican Party or the universe
generally. He is hitting the talk shows a lot and graduating from the
role of guest interviewee to that of a full-fledged know-it-all sitting
at the big round table with chairs that tilt back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/15/AR2005071501614.html?nav=hcmodule