[Mb-civic] CBC News - 8-YEAR-OLD DRIVES TRUCK TO SAVE FATHER

CBC News Online nwonline at toronto.cbc.ca
Thu Jul 14 16:46:19 PDT 2005

This email has been sent to you by harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://www.cbc.ca/news
8-YEAR-OLD DRIVES TRUCK TO SAVE FATHER
WebPosted Thu Jul 14 13:39:38 2005

---An eight-year-old Saskatchewan boy is being hailed as a hero, after
driving a truck to get help when his father became trapped under some
machinery.

"He pushed the seat up as far as he could," Don Amell told CBC News. "He
drove before to help me haul bales."

But this time it was very different.

"He'd never driven down the road."

The trouble started when James and his seven-year-old sister, Neely, were
out with their father on July 6 in the area around Big Beaver, in the
southeast corner of the province.

They'd gone to pick up a combine header, the part on the front of a
combine that cuts crops.

The seven-metre-long piece of machinery was on a trailer that ended up
with a flat tire, and when Amell stopped to fix it, the combine header
slipped, pinning him underneath.

James and Neely tried to lift the machinery but couldn't.

"James, you're going to have to go for help," Amell told his son.

"I had no other choice," he told CBC News later.

"I asked him if he could do it and he said he could. I sent him on his
way, having faith that he could find somebody."

James perched himself on the edge of the seat of the Dodge Ram 2500 so
he could reach the pedals, and drove along the winding road to a
neighbour's place.

Nobody was home.

James had no choice but to return to his father, who told him how to get
to another farmhouse.

This time it worked. People were home and help was on the way.

They came back with James, bringing jacks and blocks with them. They were
able to lift the machinery off Amell's leg and call for an ambulance.

Amell is recovering with a broken femur and other injuries. He has a rod
in his leg from the pelvis to the knee. Parts of the combine header also
punctured his leg.

Still, he considers himself lucky to be alive and thankful his children
were there to save the day.

"It was a miracle is what it was," he said.

Copyright (C) 2005 CBC. All rights reserved.