[Mb-civic] Clinton and Other Democratic Leaders Urge Young Liberals to Get Involved - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 04:23:35 PDT 2005

Clinton and Other Democratic Leaders Urge Young Liberals to Get Involved

By Brian Faler
Special to The Washington Post
Thursday, July 14, 2005; Page A04

Some of the biggest names in Democratic politics convened yesterday to
focus on what they believe is the long-term remedy to their party's
woes: cultivating a new generation of activists.

Former president Bill Clinton and Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) were the
headliners among a host of operatives, writers and artists who gathered
at the Washington Convention Center for a day-long series of speeches
and panel discussions designed to energize about 600 visiting students.

<>"You don't have to wait until your party is in power to have an impact
on life at home and around the world," Clinton told a hushed crowd,
urging them to embrace grass-roots organizing. "This ain't supposed to
be easy, and you have to work at it. I promise you our adversaries work
at it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/13/AR2005071302118.html?nav=hcmodule