[Mb-civic] Italy Stages 'Maxi-Blitz' Raids After London Attacks - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 04:19:24 PDT 2005

Italy Stages 'Maxi-Blitz' Raids After London Attacks

By Daniel Williams
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, July 14, 2005; Page A17

ROME, July 13 -- Italian authorities reacted Wednesday to last week's
bombings in London, tentatively blamed on four British citizens, by
searching the homes of hundreds of suspected Islamic radicals and
illegal immigrants.

Police and anti-terror units fanned out in Naples, Milan and other major
cities, and searched homes and offices. Interior Minister Giuseppe
Pisanu told reporters that the "maxi-blitz" showed that the government
of Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has been alert to the possibility of
attacks in Italy.

<>"The operation has been prepared for some time and confirms that Italy
has never lowered its guard in the face of the terrorist tide," he said.
"I'm not saying that we have seized terrorists. It's a preventive
operation in high-risk environments." The police were looking for arms
and explosives, officials said. No arrests were announced.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/13/AR2005071302139.html?nav=hcmodule