[Mb-civic] The War's Realists - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 04:29:01 PDT 2005

The War's Realists

By E. J. Dionne Jr.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005; Page A21

"We're fighting the enemy in Iraq and Afghanistan and across the world
so we do not have to face them here at home."

That's what President Bush said in his speech yesterday at the FBI
Academy in Quantico. After the attacks on Britain, our closest ally in
the war on terrorism, it is an astonishing thing to say. "It's a very
insensitive statement with regard to the British," said Sen. Carl Levin
(D-Mich.). "Tony Blair must absolutely have blanched when he heard that."

<>What does Bush's statement mean? Appearing on "Fox News Sunday," Fran
Townsend, the president's homeland security adviser, said that the war
in Iraq attracts terrorists "where we have a fighting military and a
coalition that can take them on and not have the sort of civilian
casualties that you saw in London."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/11/AR2005071101414.html?nav=hcmodule