[Mb-civic] Why I Oppose CAFTA - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 04:37:43 PDT 2005

Why I Oppose CAFTA

By Sander Levin

Monday, July 11, 2005; Page A15

As the congressional debate over the Central American Free Trade
Agreement (CAFTA) moves front and center, we should not lose sight of
what the argument is about -- and what it is not about.

The opposition to CAFTA cannot be dismissed as a battle between big
business and big labor. It is not about free-trade Democrats going AWOL,
nor is it about Democratic leaders wanting to deliver a defeat to the
president. It involves issues broader than those relating to sugar or
textiles.

It is about globalization.

<>As is becoming apparent in Latin America, including Central America,
the benefits of globalization are not flowing broadly to its citizens.
Within Latin America, which has the worst income inequality in the
world, four of the Central American nations rank among the top 10.
Poverty is rampant. Middle classes are weak or practically nonexistent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/10/AR2005071000995.html