[Mb-civic] Al Baraka Comments

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Sat Jul 9 12:35:47 PDT 2005

Thank you, Bear. I am afraid that we are indeed paying for the arrogance of
Bush and the - arguably erroneous - decision of Blair to stick by the Gov.
of the USA at whatever  cost. The UK/US'special relationship' is the
cornerstone of British foreign policy and the Brits felt, however specious
they must have known that the excuses for the invasion of Iraq were, that
ultimately HMG's interest lay in supporting the US come what may. They felt
that Bush in his ignorance and arrogance might well have gone it alone and
that it was better to be in a position to have some influence on events
rather than to leave the world's only hyper power to rampage about the world
on its own. Everything that occurred prior to, during and since the invasion
of Iraq was predictable - and indeed predicted by most informed commentators
in the UK, Europe and -sadly to a lesser extent - in the US. It is
inconceivable that Blair's advisers were unaware of what the true situation
was; these are not stupid people. It has all been about preserving the
'special relationship'. I wonder if they made the right decision - for both
our countries.
Love
Toro
Alexander Harper,