[Mb-civic] We Are (Still) Not Ready - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Jul 9 07:39:01 PDT 2005

We Are (Still) Not Ready

By Colbert I. King
Saturday, July 9, 2005; Page A15

The front pages of The Post, the New York Times and the Wall Street
Journal on Thursday brought all the big news of the day but, of course,
not a word about the London terrorist attacks. That's because the bombs
exploded after the newspapers went to press. Nonetheless, the absence of
any terrorism-related story in space normally reserved for news with
broad impact was striking. We learned an important lesson on Sept. 11
and were reminded of it by last year's Madrid railway bombings and again
with this week's attacks in London: Terrorism is a continuing, deadly
international problem, and we don't know the day or the hour it will strike.

Islamic jihadists, we seem to forget, haven't limited themselves to
creating havoc in Iraq and Afghanistan. America and the West remain on
their list of targets. Yet until and unless some horrific event such as
London comes along, Americans don't act like a nation living on the edge
of peril.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/08/AR2005070801684.html